Ashes of Creation will be easy to understand yet hard to master.
My stance on participation trophies is that things should be hard, people should fail, the bitter taste of defeat is what makes success that much more rewarding. Helping other players learn encounter strategy, and fine tuning their play style for high end content is an important part of eliminating participation trophy. Growing together is a good thing, and that include failing together as a means to drive for success together. – Steven Sharif
Dungeon in Ashes of Creation will range in size and will be mostly open-world.
- Open-World dungeons will be populated to facilitate multiple groups within the dungeon.
- Instanced dungeons will also be present and will cater for solo and group questlines.
Different tiers and types of dungeon content will be more or less relevant to specific groups or class compositions.
- There are going to be smaller, simpler, linear dungeons. There's going to be bigger, more complex, nonlinear dungeons. So, It's a little bit of both. We want the environment to be a character. In order for the environment to be a character, these places need to be interesting and there needs to be a dynamicism to them. – Jeffrey Bard
Dungeon difficulty will increase the further a player ventures into the dungeon.
- Mobs and mob mechanics will become more difficult.
- Terrain and environmental dangers will increase.
- Deeper darker types of interactions will be found deeper in the dungeon. – Steven Sharif
There were 13 dungeons in Alpha-1. Originally this was estimated to be 6 or 7.
List of dungeon bosses
List of notable dungeons
- Breaker's Penitentiary
- Cerulean Grotto
- Deepheart Cove
- Drythorne Gulch
- Dünzenkell Crypt
- Fallow's Hold
- Hungering Maw
- Illwind Ruins
- Manaspring Hollow
- Ruins of Restless Spirits
- Sporelight Caverns
- The Tower of Carphin
- The Underroost
- Underrealm Entrance
- Volcano dungeon
Schlachtzüge will either be based on triggered events or more traditional systems. Traditional world bosses will change based on node development.
We want things to be more fluid and one of the ways that we make them more fluid is through our triggered event system. That is one of the methods by which we make these more spontaneous. We make them more accessible to a wider audience. You can be just in the city and not normally be a part of a raid team, but now get to participate in this organic event that's kind of popped up around the city and if you are not participating then buildings are gonna get destroyed and NPCs are going to die... It's not just how fast can we do it, how will we get it done in its schedule, but oh my god this thing popped up if we don't kill it we're not going to access to our stables this week and we can't get our animal husbandry certificates... It's that risk versus reward that gives you a sense of adrenaline. – Steven Sharif
There is one true 40 person raid boss and an almost raid-level dungeon in Alpha-1.
List of raid bosses
- Brood Queen
- Elder Dragon of Flame
- Elder Dragon of the Tundra
- Elder Dragon of the Wood
- Tumok the Wretched
Schlachtzüge will have elements that can be pre-planned.
Raids will also have dynamic elements that can change from session to session.
- The types and numbers of bosses and mobs present in the raid and their skill repertoire.
- Variables are manifested based on node progression.
- The number of metropolis nodes developed.
- The types of metropolis nodes developed.
One of the design elements that we're implementing into our raids is that the raid will not be exactly the same every single time. You're going to have variables that can't necessarily be pre-planned out for. You can pre-plan out for a lot of the raid like how many DPS do you need and healers and support; where the key position and all that kind of stuff; but I think the compelling aspect of Ashes raiding will be the difficulty in achieving this content and having that content change from session to session as well. We want there to be variables that get manifested by you know what type of node got developed elsewhere. Is he going to have acolytes or cultists? What will the acolytes have skills [available] to them? What kit is the boss gonna have? What available skill repertoire will the boss be able to [wield]? ... A lot of those systems are influenced obviously by world development. So the raid kind of takes into account at what stage has the world developed: Are there two metropolises now available in the world? Okay well let's activate this skill in this skill. Now you have five metropolises, well now all these skills have been activated. Are there are they all economic nodes? Are they all military nodes? That we can change things based on that stuff. And it really is a threat assessment from the environment against the players. – Steven Sharif
- The general philosophy is that respawns will be variable. We don't want to have set specific times in which respawns will occur, so that they can be camped and farmed. But there'll be variable location respawns as well as variable time respawns. And then that provides opportunities for different parties to engage at different times and locations. – Steven Sharif
- World bosses will scale with node progression, but will not scale to adapt to player levels.
- Some world bosses will have stages of progression, such as defeating acolytes, then lieutenants, then generals, then the world boss itself.
- At each stage there is increasing difficulty. This may be parsed out into different time periods and be behind a wall of development.
- A single digit percentage of the population will be capable of defeating certain content.
- There will be ancillary effects that happen as a result of downing certain world bosses.
- This can positively impact the land management in that area.
- Around 80% of the content is open-world, where healthy competition is an instigator for player friction; for potential cooperation; for the ability to yield alliances; and the political theater that comes with it. This is an intended part of the PvX design of Ashes of Creation.
Monstermünzen enable players to play as monsters within the monster coin event system. This ranges from playing as a horde of zombies, to becoming a massive dragon.
- During a Monster Coin Event, players will be able to activate Monster Coins, allowing them to become monsters and wreak havoc! These Events can be triggered in a variety of different ways, and in some cases they may even provide cosmetic rewards.
Monstermünzen-Events are system spawned events.
- They are structured in a way to prevent groups from gaming the system.
- Monster coin events are triggered by activity in the world, such as node advancement, defeating a boss or constructing certain types of buildings within a node.
- Server messages appear for players in the vicinity of these dynamic events.
- The player will have a number of potential objectives they can choose to attack during the event. This may include node buildings, points-of-interest, dungeon, NPC, or other open-world objective.
- When you're playing as a as a monster from the monster coin use as part of an NPC event that might be targeting a node, or other some other open-world objective or POI, or dungeon, you get to participate as a monster and your focus is completing objectives that have already been prescribed as part of the event. – Steven Sharif
- Drop tables are disabled for player controlled monsters.
- Monster coins only allow a character to participate in events on their own server.
- NPC hate lists do not affect monster coin events.
The Ancients are not going to be part of the monster coin system.
- Traditionally, the Ancients are not going to be part of the Monster Coin system. These are the primary antagonists of the story. From a lore perspective, and one of the reasons why they're not a part of the Monster Coin system, is because their souls have really developed almost to the point of perfection in manipulating the Essence for more corrupt uses. They haven't quite gotten there, and who knows if they ever will, but that kind of attunes them out of the possibility: The reason why the monster coin system is possible with other creatures. – Steven Sharif
Corrupted areas (zones/points of interest) can dynamically evolve with the progression of nodes and story arcs.
- Harbingers that exist on Verra as dungeons are where The Ancients are capable of pushing into the material plane. They can continue to do so under the guise of the effects of corruption as it spreads.
- These are sources of NPC events that players need to address before they grow out of hand.
- Players need to participate in these events to stop the spread of corruption and hold back the intrusion on the material plane.
- If players fail to address these corrupted areas, the frequency of NPC events against their node will increase. These can lead to node buildings and services being disabled, increasing the node's vulnerability to node sieges.
- It can be a very detrimental thing if corruption is not addressed; and that's the intent of corruption, is to present a challenge to the players that if not addressed it becomes exacerbated and a problem over time. – Steven Sharif
- Corrupted areas do not confer corruption onto a player. Only PvP related activities lead to player corruption (in the flagging system).
- To degree your mortal coil, as we call it, or what some might consider a soul from your character's perspective within this story- can be influenced and can be changed into a shape that's more in tune with corruption; and that's through doing PvP things you can accomplish that. – Steven Sharif
- When it enters the corruption state outside of weather, in that corrupt state, you will probably see a little bit less of the influence of the season because really it's adopting that corruption, which in-and-of-itself is kind of a season. – Steven Sharif
The Node system facilitates the generation of new PvE content such as Aufträge, Dungeon, Schlachtzüge and Monstermünzen.
There is going to be a lot of PvE content for all portions of the playerbase... Part of that risk versus reward: Your risk is your time you're putting in to having a chance at getting the reward and successfully completing; and that should feel good based on how much time you devote. Now I know that there's a spectrum of casual and hard-core players in the time there, what we can do, but that's why we have many different content paths that play towards how you affect the world around you. – Steven Sharif
PvE content adapts to the development of the world to avoid repetition.
Alpha-1 PvE content
- There are over 200 quests in Alpha-1.
- Approximately 10 percent of the artisan system will be online in Alpha-1.
- There are approximately 49 unique gear sets obtainable in Alpha-1.
- These are unique sets with different stats, but some may be similar in appearance.
- There is no instancing in Alpha-1.
- Approximately 6 or 7 dungeons with one almost raid-level difficulty.
- Two world bosses requiring party-sized groups.
- One true 40 person raid boss.
- Alpha-1 castle sieges occur in a zone that is accessible via a NPC teleporter.
- This zone includes three Elder dragon raid bosses.
- These bosses will also appear in the open world outside the siege zone with slightly different mechanics.
There's over 200 quests in the game right now. There's a bunch of dungeons. We've retooled all of the boss fights. Those dragons that you see in the siege are also in the world- part of the open-world too. There will be a slightly different- there are some extra mechanics in the siege versions versus the ones that are in the world, but there's plenty of cool things to get on both of them, so make sure you check them out and hunt them down. – Jeffrey Bard
The difficulty of PvE content, such as raids and dungeons will adapt based on the performance of the raid or group against previous bosses in that encounter.
- Higher performance in earlier phases will increase the difficulty of subsequent phases of the encounter.
- Certain AI behaviors might activate based on progress within an encounter.
- Bosse and mobs will not auto-scale based on group size, but AI behaviors may dynamically adapt to the number and types of combattants in proximity to the encounter.
- Raid bosses are aware of the number of combatants within an area in proximity to them and that awareness is part of an indicator to which behaviors they're going to utilize as part of their behavior tree. So as it's assessing the types of combatants that are facing it, the number of those combatants, the position of those combatants, the abilities and totals of those combatants, it weighs certain actions in its behavior tree and then it acts on those actions; and in the scenario where you're bringing overwhelming odds to a particular fight, that might weigh heavier the AoE options that the boss has access to, where they're utilizing a lot more AoE abilities during an engagement due to that overage of of players. So in that sense it's a bit adaptive. It's a bit dynamic based on the encounter scenario. – Steven Sharif
- The higher the difficulty, the better the loot tables will be.
- Q: How challenging will raid boss mechanics be given the given that players may need to simultaneously fight other players while also fighting the boss?
- A: It depends. The great thing about our encounter system is that it has a wide scalability from encounters that some might consider easy given their composition to encounters that some might consider impossible until they get their gear level to a certain stage. The level of interaction with other players is really predicated on the encounter itself. We may have some encounters that are in instances although the predominant portion of those will be in the open world, in which case they do have the potential being contested; and these encounters, especially the big ones that might land in contention, are giving some of the best-in-slot gear you can get in the game. So it's important that they are contested because it is a significant victory point; and one of our core pillars is risk versus reward: and the higher that risk the higher that reward should be. So those two things seem fitting and then in addition we do have the concept of winners and losers. Not everybody in Ashes of Creation is going to be a winner; and that sucks if you're not I guess, but there is opportunity for you to continue to excel and become one. But it gives much more meaning to an achievement when not everybody gets the achievement. That's our philosophy. – Steven Sharif
Neue Points of Interest (wie z.B. Dungeon und World Bosse) spawnen, wenn sich Nodes entwicklen. Dieser Content passt sich an die Entwicklung der Zone an, in der er sich befindet.
- Die Population wird sich verändern.
- Die Schwierigkeit des Contents wird sich ändern.
- Der Content ändert sich vielleicht Grundlegend, abhängig davon, was sich wie entwickelt.
- Verschiedene Arten von Antagonisten mit verschiedenen Storylines.
- Manche Dungeons werden nur freigeschaltet, wenn sich Nodes zu einer bestimmten Stufe entwickeln.
- Die Ziele einer Storyline innerhalb von Dungeons hängen davon ab, welche Story Arcs durch das Node System gewählt wurden.
- Drop Tables in Gebieten und Dungeons werden in die Fortschritt von bestimmten Gebieten eingebunden sein.
Certain dungeons and other points of interest across the map will all be affected by the server’s node development. Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages. The storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will also be dependent on the story arc paths chosen through the node system. The drop tables in area and dungeons will also be tied into the progression of certain areas. For example, let’s say that the humans have developed a node in Region A, and a storyline has opened up that leads players to inspect the ruins (dungeon) of a nearby area. And let’s say that this node was developed in a scientific (crafting) zone… Well before the node developed, this dungeon was accessible… But now the dungeon has propagated new monster assets that include a drop table catering to a crafting emphasis because of the development of that scientific node. And perhaps, a new boss appears in different rooms of the dungeon that includes different adventure quest starts, like a mysterious item with a storyline that can only be progressed if a node develops to the metropolis stage in a certain region, across the world. Our system is so vast, when it comes to interconnectivity and how the world reacts to the players.
The world of Verra will be the same on each server, but Nodes will develop differently. Different servers will have different narratives. Things that happen on one server may not happen on another.
- The overarching narrative of Ashes of Creation is that players are the returning children of Verra but they will not be characterized individually as "saviors".
We want as many people as possible to experience the main server Narrative. These will branch at different scales, but largely at the personal level. Where things change is at the Node level – different parts of the story will be unlocked based on where and when Nodes grow. Unlocking a part of the story in a certain way locks out progression of the story in a different way. You’ll see different antagonists, different NPCs, and different calls to action depending on what’s happening with the server at that time.
It kind of redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you know you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, you know it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation utilizes an adaptive artificial intelligence (AI), which means that different encounters with similar creatures will yield different player experiences.
- Utilizing new AI technology that hasn't been seen in other MMORPG projects.
- Bosse are scripted and make decisions dynamically during boss fights.
- NPCs performing "idle actions" to make the world seem more alive has been discussed by the developers but is not confirmed.
- Certain AI behaviors might activate based on progress within an encounter.
- NPCs in certain encounters may be aware of their local environment and can seek cover behind obstacles, for example; but this will not be prevalent in general AI designs.
There are AI systems that don't relate to controlling NPCs.
- There are some additional AI parameters that are set that don't relate necessarily to controlling NPCs. There are AIs with regards to the development of the borders for nodes in the direction and also the decisions that are made of which lower nodes to enslave as vassal states. There's AI that relates to a little bit of the stock market that's going to be present in the economy. There's some AI systems that are going to be announced also that are pretty innovative I think with regards to the MMORPG genre and that's going to make the triggered event system very interesting I think; and that's you know with regards to how nodes kind of develop and the environment reacts to that development by you know spawning these triggered events of you know a horde of zombies attacking a city or a legendary raid boss coming out of the mountain. I think there's a lot of opportunity for some of the innovations that's been in the AI sector of game development too to come out in Ashes. – Steven Sharif
2023-06-02 2023-06-01 2023-01-30 2022-10-31 2022-08-27 2022-07-02 2021-05-01 2021-01-30 2020-12-24 2020-11-09 2020-05-29 2020-03-28 2018-08-10 2018-02-28 2018-01-19 2018-01-19
- ↑ Podcast, 2018-05-11 (33:09).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Forums - No participation trophy.
- ↑ Twitter - The way is shut! Trapped in this dwarven crypt.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Liveübertragung, 2018-09-27 (43:21).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2018-01-18 (16:34).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2018-02-09 (4:42).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Liveübertragung, 2017-06-01 (39:21).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (20:59).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Liveübertragung, 2020-03-28 (1:48:36).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2023-04-28 (1:15:22).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 Liveübertragung, 2020-04-30 (1:32:06).
- ↑ Alpha-1 map.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (39:08).
- ↑ Video, 2020-05-31 (1:40:18).
- ↑ Video, 2020-05-31 (1:17:42).
- ↑ Podcast, 2018-04-23 (27:14).
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 19.5 19.6 19.7 Podcast, 2018-07-09 (22:24).
- ↑ Video, 2020-05-31 (17:20).
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Liveübertragung, 2023-05-31 (41:16).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2023-03-31 (1:20:41).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2023-05-31 (43:55).
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:42:14).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2021-11-19 (55:31).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2023-05-31 (42:06).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2023-05-31 (45:47).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2023-03-31 (1:00:16).
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 Types of Events on Verra.
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 Liveübertragung, 2022-07-29 (1:20:24).
- ↑ Video, 2017-05-25 (0:02).
- ↑ IGN: Ashes of Creation first look: An MMO that lets you be the boss.
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (39:00).
- ↑ 35.0 35.1
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (22:19).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-03 (36:25).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-03 (35:25).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (1:36:05).
- ↑ Podcast, 2020-11-15 (47:12).
- ↑ Podcast, 2020-11-15 (51:22).
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (22:53).
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 43.2 Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (50:03).
- ↑ Video, 2023-03-31 (1:22).
- ↑ Video, 2023-03-31 (3:32).
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 Liveübertragung, 2020-11-08 (12:47).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (1:13:30).
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 Liveübertragung, 2022-01-28 (1:17:12).
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 Liveübertragung, 2023-03-31 (54:22).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (1:32:24).
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 Liveübertragung, 2023-03-31 (58:27).
- ↑ Video, 2021-05-28 (5:40).
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 About Ashes of Creation.
- ↑ Video, 2021-04-30 (4:51).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation FAQ.
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (PM) (1:14:01).
- ↑ 58.0 58.1 58.2 58.3 58.4 58.5 58.6 Liveübertragung, 2021-04-30 (41:18).
- ↑ Blog: Creative Director's Letter, October 16 2020
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (42:28).
- ↑ Interview, 2021-02-07 (35:30).
- ↑ 63.0 63.1
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-04-11 (49:40).
- ↑ Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- ↑ Video, 2021-04-30 (13:02).
- ↑ 67.0 67.1 67.2 Interview, 2020-07-19 (14:51).
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 68.2 Liveübertragung, 2023-01-27 (1:34:06).
- ↑ 69.0 69.1 69.2 69.3 69.4 Interview, 2021-06-13 (22:20).
- ↑ Interview, 2020-07-19 (17:12).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2022-05-27 (1:20:35).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (36:22).
- ↑ 73.0 73.1 73.2 73.3 73.4 Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (18:29).
- ↑ 74.0 74.1 74.2 74.3 MMOGames interview, January 2017
- ↑ Video, 2023-03-31 (28:11).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2019-12-17 (1:10:30).
- ↑ Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 2017-04-13.
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (28:02).
- ↑ 80.0 80.1 Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (21:24).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-05 (11:55).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-07-28 (43:57).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (PM) (3:56).
- ↑ 84.0 84.1 Liveübertragung, 2022-07-29 (1:23:56).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (1:03:32).
- ↑ 86.0 86.1 86.2 86.3 86.4 Podcast, 2018-05-11 (24:23).