Node layout and style
Node layout and style is determined by several factors:
- Environment (biome) and location of the node.
- The way that the node system is built is that they can exist across a spread of 18 biomes, but at the same time have to represent the cultural influence of these cultures that are intrinsically a part of a specific biome. – Steven Sharif
- Nodes will adjust the local topography to fit the aesthetic and mechanical requirements of the node.
Currently the way that the platform system is set up, is it's capable of adjusting the topography of the node's footprint, regardless of the surrounding terrain. So the reason for that is we want to have flexibility in the presentation of the node's layout and how it is essentially both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as a mechanical standpoint with node sieges- how it's constructed and that construction should have the ability to take on a variance of different types of topography. So it shouldn't be dependent on the surrounding area. Now that's not to say that the surrounding area isn't going to have some influence over. So for example... we're experimenting a little bit with the platform tech and putting up a node up against the side of a mountain or on the edge of a cliff or something that has a beautiful vista. Those are things that we're going to test out obviously as we continue to work on the node tool and how that platform system works, but the idea is to have the node independent of the surrounding terrain. – Steven Sharif
Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
- Race that contributed the highest percentage to the node's advancement will alter the racial appearance of its buildings, NPCs, and props.
All nodes whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
- The rest is determined by the node's mayor.
- It should be possible for a node to complete several building projects within a mayor's one month term in office.
- Q: How long would you say it will take players on average to fill slash build up a node completely from wilderness to metropolis?
- A: It's one thing to get a node to a certain level: it's another thing to develop the node; and I can't really give you an on-average expectation, because there's a lot of variables at play. There's how many citizens does the node have attracted to it; what's the type of traffic that the node is attracting to it based on things like its tax rates, or the specialization that it chose to spec into, based on the building types it's chosen to build. All of those things are variables that can affect the quote-unquote "average build-out time" of a particular node. So it's kind of difficult to give you an average when there's so many variables along those lines. But the idea is that if there is a particular project that players are interested in in developing based on the node stage, that they would have the ability to complete several of those projects as within a single term of a mayor; and a term of a mayor is one month. – Steven Sharif
- Auction house
- Crafting stations
- Lumber yards
- Royal stables
- Scholar's academy
- Statische Behausungen
- Thieves' guild
- Trader's company
Constructible node buildings
Node-Regierungen decide the location and types of constructible node buildings to be constructed within sectors of a node.
These are buildings that the mayor has agency over determining whether or not they should be a constructed project. Constructible buildings can be selected at open plots that are gained as the node advances. If they elect to begin construction of one of these types of buildings- one of which is the marketplace- it'll grant certain trade benefits as well as some stalls that the citizens may participate in. – Steven Sharif
The government decides how to specialize their node. Once they choose certain things they won't be able to choose other things.
- Node-Gebäude live within a "tech tree" based on the stage of the node. Each stage offers stronger services to the node but must satisfy prerequisites for the building construction.
- Different governments may change the buildings within a node.
And there could be regime change... If somebody doesn't like the fact that a market was built and they want to re-elect a new government next cycle, they can do so... and that market could be destroyed and a new building take its place.
When the building types are determined, the community will then need to bring resources into the node (using caravans) and come together to construct the buildings (via quests and the like).
- Materialien contributed toward building a node building are lost if the mayor decides to scrap the project.
- Pre-defined parameters limit the number of buildings at in-node locations.
Unique node buildings
Jeder Art von Node ist ein einzigartiges Node-Gebäude zugeordnet, das ab der Entwicklungsstufe Dorf der Node aktiviert werden kann. Dieses einzigartige Gebäude spielt eine zentrale Rolle in dem Fortschritt der Zivilisation eines Server.
- Göttliche Nodes
- Wirtschaftliche Nodes
- Militärische Nodes
- Wissenschaftliche Nodes
Node building destruction
Node-Gebäude (including player housing) have hit points and can be damaged or destroyed by different systems.
- NPC-driven events that are a response to story arcs or node atrophy.
- Node-Belagerungen and node wars.
- Attackers may not be capable of destroying a node during a siege. Instead they may carry out precision attacks to disable specific service-oriented buildings within the node. These buildings can be targeted with siege weapons and bombs.
- Hazardous events such as tornadoes or hurricanes.
If buildings suffer more than approximately 25% damage, any NPCs or services offered by that building will not be available until the building is repaired.
- Players must repair damaged buildings (or rebuild destroyed ones) in order to reactivate the services from those particular buildings.
Buildings that take significant damage are destroyed and appear as rubble on the plot they occupied.
- Node-Regierungen must clear any rubble on plots before any buildings can be reconstructed. Any prerequisites for the building reconstruction must be satisfied beforehand.
- Buildings also live within a prerequisite system. So in order to build down the tech tree of what these buildings provide, as the node grows larger to access stronger building types, you may get a kink in that chain if it's destroyed and you'll have to stand that back up in order to support the service again. – Steven Sharif
- If the node is destroyed by a node siege, the debris field will contain spoils that are lootable to the victors of the siege.
- Spielerbehausungen that is destroyed during a node siege can no longer be sold. Furnishing and decorations are retained and can be placed again later.
Static housing development
In-node housing can scale in size with the advancement of its parent node. This may be toggled on or off by the player.
- The Dorf stage offers small housing types.
- The Stadt stage introduces medium housing types.
- The Großstadt stage introduces large sized homes.
- The Metropole stage introduces mansion size houses.
If you choose to keep the same size then the next stage will have an occupied small home. So for instance if at stage three there are 8 small home and you own 1, then at stage 4 there are 10 new small homes of which x are owned by previous owners, and 10 new medium homes of which x are owned by upgraded small home owners. – Steven Sharif
New property becomes available at each stage of advancement, but it will be more akin to what was available at the previous stage.
- Only the houses that existed at the Dorf stage will become main street mansions at the Metropole stage.
A node that was successfully destroyed by a node siege may develop differently due to the following influences:
- Different races becoming primary contributors.
- Design elements determined by different governments.
- Reactions and interactions with other nodes in the world.
Ashes of Creation wird eine höhere grafische Treue haben als die meisten westlichen Spiele. Es wird nicht zu stilisiert oder "cartoonisiert" sein.
- Alle künstlerischen Elemente im Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Battle Royale Testmodus wurden von Intrepid Studios erstellt.
We can push the limits a little bit on the graphical fidelity, especially using Unreal Engine 4... My desire was not to see very cartoony games. I'm not a big fan of highly stylized art. – Steven Sharif
Character races are super important. These are the choices that we make at the onset of our adventure in an MMORPG: what race- not just mechanically aligns with our decisions, if those races have game mechanics behind them from a stat perspective, but visually and culturally and historically: What are these? What do these races represent? So it's important that visually they're distinct. And everyone's seen fantasy games do Elves, so everyone's seen them do Humans, everyone's seen them do Orcs: There's an established expectation almost behind what these traditional fantasy races represent; and there's a risk, because whenever you're creating a new IP or a new story or a new world- a new Universe; a realm in which things don't have to always be the norm, you can take a little bit of creative liberty to redefine some of the aspects of a particular race; and that can be a good thing, because it's something that is new to players. It's something that is unique to the realm that we're building- the surroundings that you have. So what we wanted to do was push a little bit more on the unique side of what the Py'rai would look like from a visual perspective. – Steven Sharif
- Die Architektur der Aelan hat einen französisch-mittelalterlichen Einfluss.
- Dünir have a Nordic cultural influence.
- Empyreans have a Greco-Roman imperialistic feeling.
- The Kaelar have a European racial influence.
- The Niküa have a Polynesian influence.
- The Py'Rai have a Navajo Native American influence. Py'Rai architecture has a woodland inspiration.
- Pyrian architecture has a Greco-Roman influence.
- The Vaelune have a Middle Eastern racial influence.
- The Vek have a Mesoamerican racial influence.
You will see in the different races that are available from a player character standpoint a lot of different influences that reflect many cultures in the world: Not just European, not just Africa, not Mesoamerican. These cultures are going to be present in many of the races. – Steven Sharif
The idea is just to find a base component in the real world as a starting point and then to begin to fantasize. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Liveübertragung, 2020-10-30 (39:17).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Liveübertragung, 2018-09-27 (53:06).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (41:00).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Liveübertragung, 2021-02-26 (1:12:18).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (4:57).
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-04-11 (29:47).
- ↑ Interview, 2018-05-11 (54:34).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (21:23).
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-04-11 (23:36).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Interview, 2018-05-11 (47:27).
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Liveübertragung, 2022-07-29 (1:13:09).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2020-03-28 (1:16:03).
- ↑ Video, 2020-03-23 (0:24).
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (33:57).
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Liveübertragung, 2018-01-20 (38:17).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (PM) (51:49).
- ↑ Interview, 2020-07-08 (55:05).
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 20.3 20.4 20.5 20.6 20.7 20.8 Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (1:13:00).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2021-07-30 (1:10:09).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2018-09-01 (36:28).
- ↑ Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2019-10-31 (36:20).
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (16:56).
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 26.2 26.3 26.4 Interview, 2020-07-08 (57:46).
- ↑ Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (17:59).
- ↑ Interview, 2020-07-08 (59:38).
- ↑ Podcast, 2021-09-29 (14:21).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2020-04-30 (1:14:44).
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Liveübertragung, 2020-06-26 (1:02:12).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-07-18 (40:14).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (47:10).
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 36.3 36.4 36.5 36.6 Video, 2020-05-31 (47:32).
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 37.2 Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 39.2 39.3 Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (52:39).
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 Interview, 20. Oktober 2018 (2:17:43).
- ↑ Interview, 20. Oktober 2018 (2:28:08).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (49:42).
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Interview, 2018-10-20 (3:47:17).
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:03:21).
- ↑ Podcast, 2018-05-11 (31:35).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2022-09-30 (1:08:24).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (44:28).
- ↑ Liveübertragung, 2017-10-16 (15:58).
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 Podcast, 2018-05-11 (31:35).
- ↑ Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:04:27).