Node layout and style
- The way that the node system is built is that they can exist across a spread of 18 biomes, but at the same time have to represent the cultural influence of these cultures that are intrinsically a part of a specific biome. – Steven Sharif
- Environment (biome) and location of the node.
- Nodes will adjust the local topography to fit the aesthetic and mechanical requirements of the node.
- Currently the way that the platform system is set up, is it's capable of adjusting the topography of the node's footprint, regardless of the surrounding terrain. So the reason for that is we want to have flexibility in the presentation of the node's layout and how it is essentially both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as a mechanical standpoint with node sieges- how it's constructed and that construction should have the ability to take on a variance of different types of topography. So it shouldn't be dependent on the surrounding area. Now that's not to say that the surrounding area isn't going to have some influence over. So for example... we're experimenting a little bit with the platform tech and putting up a node up against the side of a mountain or on the edge of a cliff or something that has a beautiful vista. Those are things that we're going to test out obviously as we continue to work on the node tool and how that platform system works, but the idea is to have the node independent of the surrounding terrain. – Steven Sharif
- Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
- Race that contributed the highest percentage to the node's advancement will alter the racial appearance of its buildings, NPCs, and props.
- All nodes, whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure, has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
- The rest is determined by the node's mayor.
- Q: How long would you say it will take players on average to fill/build up a node completely from wilderness to metropolis?
- A: It's one thing to get a node to a certain level: it's another thing to develop the node; and I can't really give you an on-average expectation, because there's a lot of variables at play. There's how many citizens does the node have attracted to it; what's the type of traffic that the node is attracting to it based on things like its tax rates, or the specialization that it chose to spec into, based on the building types it's chosen to build. All of those things are variables that can affect the quote-unquote "average build-out time" of a particular node. So it's difficult to give you an average when there's so many variables along those lines. But the idea is that if there is a particular project that players are interested in in developing based on the node stage, that they would have the ability to complete several of those projects as within a single term of a mayor; and a term of a mayor is one month. – Steven Sharif
Service buildings within a node are either default buildings that come with the node, or they are constructed buildings, which are initiated by the mayor and built by players. Service buildings are further broken down into two main types:
- Active service buildings are service buildings that players directly interact with. These are further broken down into Artisanship, Business, Content, and Political categories.
- Passive service buildings provide passive benefits to the node or its zone of influence. These buildings are broken down into Civic, Cultural, Fabrication, Scholarly, and Vocational.
- Constructed service buildings are available to every type of node in every location. Where the uniqueness comes in is in some of the default buildings like your node-type building. – Chris Justo
- Building expansions unlock higher tier workstations at the cost of dedicating service building plots.
- Node service building expansions specialize the building through a tech tree based on the stage of the node.
Unique node buildings
Jeder Art von Node ist ein einzigartiges Node-Gebäude zugeordnet, das ab der Entwicklungsstufe Dorf der Node aktiviert werden kann. Dieses einzigartige Gebäude spielt eine zentrale Rolle in dem Fortschritt der Zivilisation eines Server.
- Göttliche Nodes
- Wirtschaftliche Nodes
- Militärische Nodes
- Wissenschaftliche Nodes
Node building destruction
- NPC-driven events that are a response to story arcs or node atrophy.
- Node-Belagerungen and node wars.
- Hazardous events such as tornadoes or hurricanes.
- Bürgermeister have the ability to demolish constructed node buildings. This will have a node mandate cost and will require player buy-in via a vote.
- Mayors will also have the ability, if they want, to demolish constructed buildings. So if they if they so choose they can destroy a building if they don't think it's needed anymore. But this will have mandate cost and a player buy-in votes. So we want to make sure that [the] mayor can't just go and blow up the whole node if they're trying to grief or something. So this is very important and impactful decision. – John Collins
If building maintenance is not paid, or a building is damaged as the result of an event or siege, the building will enter a state of disarray. Any NPCs or services offered by that building will not be available until the building is repaired.
- Players must contribute materials to repair disarrayed buildings and restore them to an operational state.
- Node-Regierungen must clear any rubble on plots before any buildings can be reconstructed. Any prerequisites for the building reconstruction must be satisfied beforehand.
- Buildings also live within a prerequisite system. So in order to build down the tech tree of what these buildings provide, as the node grows larger to access stronger building types, you may get a kink in that chain if it's destroyed and you'll have to stand that back up in order to support the service again. – Steven Sharif
- If the node is destroyed by a node siege, the debris field will contain spoils that are lootable by attackers or defenders.
Static housing development
- The Dorf stage offers small housing types.
- The Stadt stage introduces medium housing types.
- The Großstadt stage introduces large sized homes.
- The Metropole stage introduces mansion size houses.
If you choose to keep the same size then the next stage will have an occupied small home. So for instance if at stage three there are 8 small home and you own 1, then at stage 4 there are 10 new small homes of which x are owned by previous owners, and 10 new medium homes of which x are owned by upgraded small home owners. – Steven Sharif
New property becomes available at each stage of advancement, but it will be more akin to what was available at the previous stage.
- Only the houses that existed at the Dorf stage will become main street mansions at the Metropole stage.
- Different races becoming primary contributors.
- Design elements determined by different governments.
- Reactions and interactions with other nodes in the world.
- Alle künstlerischen Elemente im Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Battle Royale Testmodus wurden von Intrepid Studios erstellt.
We can push the limits a little bit on the graphical fidelity, especially using Unreal Engine 4... My desire was not to see very cartoony games. I'm not a big fan of highly stylized art. – Steven Sharif
Character races are super important. These are the choices that we make at the onset of our adventure in an MMORPG: what race- not just mechanically aligns with our decisions, if those races have game mechanics behind them from a stat perspective, but visually and culturally and historically: What are these? What do these races represent? So it's important that visually they're distinct. And everyone's seen fantasy games do Elves, so everyone's seen them do Humans, everyone's seen them do Orcs: There's an established expectation almost behind what these traditional fantasy races represent; and there's a risk, because whenever you're creating a new IP or a new story or a new world- a new Universe; a realm in which things don't have to always be the norm, you can take a little bit of creative liberty to redefine some of the aspects of a particular race; and that can be a good thing, because it's something that is new to players. It's something that is unique to the realm that we're building- the surroundings that you have. So what we wanted to do was push a little bit more on the unique side of what the Py'rai would look like from a visual perspective. – Steven Sharif
- Die Architektur der Aelan hat einen französisch-mittelalterlichen Einfluss.
- Dünir have a Nordic cultural influence.
- Empyreans have a Greco-Roman imperialistic feeling.
- The Kaelar have a European racial influence.
- The Niküa have a Polynesian influence.
- The Py'Rai have a Navajo Native American influence. Py'Rai architecture has a woodland inspiration.
- Pyrian architecture has a Greco-Roman influence.
- The Vaelune have a Middle Eastern racial influence.
- The Vek have a Mesoamerican racial influence.
You will see in the different races that are available from a player character standpoint a lot of different influences that reflect many cultures in the world: Not just European, not just Africa, not Mesoamerican. These cultures are going to be present in many of the races. – Steven Sharif
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Liveübertragung, 2020-10-30 (39:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-09-27 (53:06).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (41:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-02-26 (1:12:18).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (4:57).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (29:47).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (54:34).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (21:23).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (23:36).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (47:27).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-07-29 (1:13:09).
- Blog: Development Update with Village Node.
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (50:25).
- Video, 2023-08-31 (2:59).
- Interview, 2023-07-09 (1:32:45).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (33:57).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-01-20 (38:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (PM) (51:49).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (56:18).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (52:56).
- Video, 2023-08-31 (34:37).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (1:13:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (57:23).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-09-01 (36:28).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Liveübertragung, 2019-10-31 (36:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (16:56).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (57:46).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (17:59).
- Interview, 2023-07-09 (1:36:24).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-10-14 (52:31).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (14:21).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-04-30 (1:14:44).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-06-26 (1:02:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-18 (40:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (47:10).
- Video, 2020-05-31 (47:32).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (52:39).
- Interview, 20. Oktober 2018 (2:17:43).
- Interview, 20. Oktober 2018 (2:28:08).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (49:42).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (3:47:17).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:03:21).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (31:35).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-09-30 (1:08:24).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (44:28).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-10-16 (15:58).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (31:35).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:04:27).