- Post launch, users will be able to select their server by the ping or the region that's notated next to the server.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse server selection is driven by the party leader. Whatever region they have selected will apply to their friends and squad.
We'll have a multitude of servers located throughout to the various regions of the world; and those servers will be good connection points for- and will be driven by- I mean there's two types of servers I'm sorry: For the alpha-1 arena those will be driven by the party leader right; and wherever whatever region they have selected if they invite friends to their squad or whatever, they'll be able to play on that region. With regards to live launch when the server's go live, you'll be selecting a server to play on; and that will be your character's home; and that server you'll be aware of where that server is located usually by either a ping or a region that's notated on next to the server. – Steven Sharif
- 1 Regionen
- 2 Alpha-1 servers
- 3 Testing server wipes
- 4 Server Bevölkerung
- 5 Server reservations
- 6 Server prime-time
- 7 Server-Transfers
- 8 Server-Instanzierung
- 9 Server vs server
- 10 Metriken
- 11 Servertypen
- 12 Headstart Server
- 13 Server maintenance
- 14 Server-wide announcements
- 15 Server Geschichte
- 16 Unreal engine 4 (Custom back-end)
- 17 Prozedurale Generierung
- 18 Server hosting
- 19 Siehe auch
- 20 Einzelnachweise
- North America (NA).
- Europe (EU).
- Asia/Pacific (SEA).
- Oceania (OCE) (Australia).
At this stage we do not have numbers on how many different servers will exist for different regions. We've said in the past 8-10,000 concurrent users per server is what we'd like to aim for. Obviously, the number of servers that exist in a region are going to be dependent on the population that's playing. – Steven Sharif
- South America is under consideration due to traffic from that region.
Once we get closer to launch we'll update this information, which may include additional regions.
- Players will be able to make characters on any server they wish. There will be no region locking (outside of harmonized regions).
- Previously it was stated that English, French, German, and Russian will be supported then Italian, Polish and Spanish be added later.
- Other languages are being considered based on interest.
- User interface localization tools are available in the chat window.
Ashes of Creation is aiming to be available in the following languages: English, French, German, Russian, Italian, Polish, and Spanish. Although this may not be the final list of languages we support, as we are still looking into which other languages the game may be translated into.
Testing server wipes
- Alpha-1 testing phases will include full wipes.
- Servers may also be wiped between individual tests, unless the developers require progression to be saved for certain spot tests.
- Around 8-10k concurrent users per server is projected.
- The developers intend to carefully manage server populations via the use of character creation throttles to avoid the need to merge servers. There may be queues to get into high population servers, but the aim is to avoid excessively long queues.
Part of the equation of essentially watching to make sure that we don't over populate the server selection, but at the same time making sure that there's not a queue system in place that's so long it's detrimental to the concurrency of the player's will to play so to speak. It's a tough balancing act. – Steven Sharif
Things that NPCs buy and sell kind of scale based on the economic activity that exists on that server... As inflation rises, prices rise and everything kind of ends up being equal, even though there might be a couple of extra zeros. So that can go up and it can also go down so as a population leaves, things become less expensive and players don't have to do as much to earn that. On the other side of things we look at the node system and the node system is set up in this really flexible way that allows us to scale the experience needed to level a node and the attrition that delevels a node to scale based on activity too. So you know it's just a matter of adjusting a couple of constants and that goes up and down and the server can watch it and change those on the fly as it needs to. – Jeffrey Bard
This would likely be utilized more so by guilds than that would be solo or unaffiliated players; and I believe that the solo player they may have friends that they want to play with. That's fine, they can also still with those friends do the reservation system, but the player who is just joining the game fresh and doesn't have a community that they're part of, I don't think they really mind in that regard and will not utilize that system. – Steven Sharif
- Accounts will have name reservation tokens, that entitle its holder to reserve a name on a specific server when the reservation time comes.
Objective-based events such as Node-Belagerungen, Castle sieges, Gildenkriege, and Node wars will occur within a prime-time window somewhere between 3PM and 9PM server time. This is subject to testing.
Dungeons and Raids
- Castle and node sieges may contain instanced locations where specific groups can participate in certain objective-based waypoints.
- Dungeons and raids will maintain an open world feel while also capitalizing on the benefits of instanced mechanics.
- There will be some open dungeons that have bosses at the end of the dungeons. There will be some open dungeons that just have a multitude of dungeon bosses, not necessarily world raids or something; and there will be lots of different rooms and they'll be progressive in the sense that in the earlier parts of the dungeon they'll be lower level and then at the later parts of the dungeons deeper down they'll be higher level and more difficult; and that creates again I think an ecosystem of where players across a multitude of levels have an opportunity to coexist within certain areas of the world; and that's good from a social dynamic. It's good from a recruitment dynamic. It's good from just a liveliness and relevance of particular areas. So that you don't end up with these locations that once you pass a certain level like it's empty. – Steven Sharif
- Q: When you reach the bosses in [open world] dungeons can you be jumped?
- A: For the most part if there are bosses at the end of dungeons, it is possible for you to get jumped. – Steven Sharif
- In den Arenen wird es 1-Man, 3-Man, 5-Man, und möglicherweise 20-Man Free-For-All (Deathmatch) Gruppengrößen geben.
- Es wird verschiedene Arena-Stufen (Ranglistensystem) geben.
- Bürgermeister von Militär-Nodes werden von den Bürgern durch einen Last Man Standing (Gladiatoren-Style) Kampf gewählt.
- Das Arena-System könnte Serverübergreifende Kämpfe ermöglichen.
- Kämpfe in der Arena sind instanziert, aber Zuschauer könnten über ein Interface möglich sein.
Server vs server
- There may be monthly competitions where the winning server and winning team receive beneficial buffs for the month.
When you're talking about Arena play especially, one server might not be able to support that depending on what's going on with it, but across all the servers then we've got a really great pool for matchmaking. – Jeffrey Bard
- Number of successful siege defenses.
- Number of successful siege assaults.
- Number of PvP kills.
- Raid participation points.
- Number of firsts.
Visibility of those types of things on the server help to promote a competitive atmosphere. If there is an attainable impression that you can work towards, so that others know your success, you have more drive to succeed. – Steven Sharif
- There won't be separate roleplaying (RP) servers.
- There won't be separate PvE and PvP servers.
Ashes of Creation ist ein PvX Spiel. Die Spieler werden dabei sowohl auf PvP- als auch auf PvE-Elemente treffen. Es ist unwahrscheinlich, dass sich ein Spieler ausschließlich auf das reine PvP oder das reine PvE konzentrieren könnte.
- In Ashes of Creation gibt es ein Gleichgewicht zwischen PvP und PvE.
- Einige Server sind möglicherweise stärker auf das PvP ausgerichtet als andere.
- Es wird keine unterschiedlichen Ausrüstungstypen für PvP und PvE geben.
- Der Fortschritt im Spiel kann PvE-Elemente voraussetzen.
- Alle Werte betreffen die Kampfleistung eines Spielers im PvX.
We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But you know it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay. – Steven Sharif
Scheduled server downtime will occur on a weekly basis.
- Castle sieges.
- Legendary world boss spawns.
- Mob attacks and Monster coin events.
- Dungeon opportunities.
- Local events
- Local events (such as caravan PvP) may prompt players via the UI asking if they wish to participate or not.
- Other local events may offer audible or visual cues without any UI notifications.
- Local events that have not been addressed may start to expand regionally or even globally.
- One important thing to note about events in general is notifications are sent to the players. Players can opt into these events in a similar way that you would into a quest. You're going to be presented with a 'would you like to participate' but they might not always be that way. You might hear trees falling in the forest and that may be an audio cue to tell you something's happening over there. It's out of the ordinary. This is not normally an audio cue that I hear in this area and i'm gonna go investigate that thing. So it might not just be always that kind of UI window represented with a 'participate or not' but I'm going to go investigate and in that sense it could be stage driven. So you might have the more local stage where it is just the visual or audio cues and you get to go participate in that stage; and then when it advances, or if you don't answer the problem in time, then it starts to expand regionally and then it might send out particular notifications to either citizens of the node from which it falls under its purview or even broader than that. It could be global driven events and then it could have things that are are visual cues that are really big like a giant blizzard that's affecting the zone, because the event hasn't been addressed; and that can affect the crop rotations or it can affect passages and roads and how caravans move. There's a lot that the predicate system informs to the event system and then the event system reacts to those types of predicates. – Steven Sharif
- Node-based events
- Certain node-based events will be broadcast to node citizens, others, such as caravans, will not be announced and will instead rely on player word-of-mouth.
- Entwicklung der Node notifications will be broadcast depending on the node's stage.
- New citizens of a node may be announced in a dedicated node citizen chat channel.
- Election notices will be mailed to the accounts of citizens.
- Whether it be like a siege or a triggered event against a city or like a unique dungeon opportunity... those types of things are going to involve notifications. Especially to the citizens of the city; where you'll be informed of an impending event. Basically it will give you time. – Steven Sharif
- Scribes may be able to collect and record information about the events of the world as they see it from their point of view.
- We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- Geschichte of narrative events and when they occurred.
- Locations and last known quantity of gatherable resources.
- Locations and inhabitants of new dungeons or POIs (points of Interest) that have spawned.
- Runic power stones for armor.
- Common armor and weapon recipes (level 25 and under).
Reports of information to the library may expire after a period of time (say one week). After which new reports will be required to update the existing information.
You'll get that shroud of war functionality for the week after a report but if it doesn't receive a follow-up report after that expiration period then it will not be updating real time. – Steven Sharif
Unreal engine 4 (Custom back-end)
Unreal Engine 5 is the graphical engine for Ashes of Creation. The game was originally developed in Unreal Engine 4. Migrating to UE5 required some front-end work, but in the long run it will be easier to do so in the alpha phases of the game, rather than closer to release, or post-release.
- Unreal Engine 5 enables improved forms of locomotion/animation (motion warping), such as crouching, tilting and mantling.
What it provides in my opinion as person who enjoys PvP is it adds additional dynamics to what is possible from your opponent or from yourself. You know, if there is a ledge and jumping off that ledge is going to deal a lot of damage to me when I hit the ground and that puts me at a significant disadvantage, maybe I have an option to jump off the ledge at a point where I can mantle onto the side of a cliff or something. Now the give and take there is I won't be able to use my skills while I'm mantled. I won't be able to react easily, but I didn't have to take the fall damage per-se. Or if there's an obstruction and you know I'm going to take a significant reduction in speed so that I can crouch and make it past that, and now I have a effective line of sight has been obstructed as a result of that decision. I think it adds interesting elements to the battlefield and the key here is going to be making sure that it's not cumbersome- that it doesn't feel opposite of the flow of combat. – Steven Sharif
- Unreal Engine 5 Lumen provides enhanced global illumination and Nanite enables increased graphical fidelity in the game (without excessive overhead).
Nanite brings us really an entirely new approach to rendering and art workflows. Now we can render more actors with extremely high detail while eliminating the need to bake out normal map textures. For artists essentially what this means is that they can import high quality sculpted meshes directly into Unreal 5 without really having to reduce the poly count, making the workflow more efficient while simultaneously improving the quality of the art. – Steven Sharif
Lumen is going to greatly improve the visual fidelity and performance of the game with the reduced work and effort that's required by the art team, making Ashes of Creation much more beautiful than in UE4. – Steven Sharif
- Unreal Engine 5 features (such as World partitions and One file per actor) make it much easier for multiple developers to work together.
- World partitions also enable Unreal Engine 5 maps to exceed the map size constraints of UE4 (~20 kilometers squared).
Q: How does this upgrade to UE5 affect the Ashes of Creation release timeline?
A: While UE4 is a great engine, there are certain focuses and technological endeavors that Epic is doing on UE5 that won't necessarily be supported by UE4; and we want to make sure given the lifespan of Ashes and how long we intend this MMO to last, that when we made this decision early on during the development process that we weren't going to exacerbate the amount of effort it would take to move over later in the lifespan or after launch. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation features a custom Unreal Engine back-end with proprietary networking code to enable mass combat in the open world: such as PvP, Node-Belagerungen, Castle sieges, Dungeons and Weltbosse.
- The networking solution dynamically distributes processes and scales up necessary server instances to accommodate player density across the world.
One of the most important things about Epic Games as the creators of Unreal Engine is the way they've allowed developers to have access to the source code. To be able to do that makes the engine very versatile. – Steven Sharif
- The upgrade to Unreal Engine 5 is primarily a change to the front-end side of the game. The custom back-end networking code remains largely unaffected.
Over October and November, that's when McP and the engineers began to do the base migration of our custom code-base into UE5 see where there were any major issues. The great thing about UE5 is that it's mainly focused around updating the renderer- giving access to Nanite, Lumen global illumination- those are big components. There's other great aspects of it, but really it's a front-end change and it doesn't affect our networking layer. It doesn't affect our back-end code. – Steven Sharif
- As of January 24, 2020 all teams have moved over to Unreal Engine 5.
- Verra's map will not be procedurally generated, but starting resource points may be different on each server.
- Node locations and types are predefined and are the same on each server but they will develop differently on each and drive different narratives and storylines.
- Node layout and style is determined by several factors, such as Environment (biome) and location, Node type, and Race.
- Roads are both pre-generated and player influenced.
Wherever we can leverage procedural mechanics in such a way that does not appear procedural we should. There's a healthy blend between the things that we do in having defined parameters for it and then incorporating a procedural component; and in that sense it will be perceived well, but where we the predominance of what we're implementing should be curated or by design. – Steven Sharif
- The Ashes of Creation Apocalypse stress test was hosted by Microsoft servers in the US Midwest (Ohio).
- Google was the original candidate for server hosting.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Official Livestream - May 4th @ 3 PM PST - Q&A
- Liveübertragung, 2018-09-27 (48:13).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-11-19 (52:35).
- Interview, 2017-05-08 (22:06).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (40:50).
- Ashes of Creation FAQ: Where will your servers be?
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Liveübertragung, 8 April 2018 (AM) (26:41).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-07-09 (47:54).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-25 (1:21:03).
- What languages will Ashes of Creation be in?
- Interview, 2018-08-24 (2:35).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-17 (1:09:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (45:49).
- Interview, 2018-08-24 (3:19).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (1:21:49).
- Alpha one test schedule, Mar 12, 2021.
- Liveübertragung, 2020-11-30 (7:27).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-17 (59:25).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-10-29 (1:14:00).
- Video, 2018-09-06 (4:25).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (12:56).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (10:04).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-06-04 (39:15).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-25 (1:06:43).
- Voyager plus pre-order pack
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Interview, 2020-07-29 (31:05).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (13:13).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (22:37).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-08 (36:26).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-28 (35:42).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-04-30 (1:05:34).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (11:04).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (20:59).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-03-28 (1:48:36).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-01-28 (17:50).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (34:11).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (35:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (24:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-08-23 (16:44).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-05 (16:53).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (48:12).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (52:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (29:13).
- Interview, 2020-03-27 (11:04).
- Liveübertragung, 8 April 2018 (PM) (36:21).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (29:05).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:47:21).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-18 (58:50).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-15 (44:10).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-05 (35:27).
- MMORPG Interview, 12 December 2016.
- Video, 2018-04-16 (1:32).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (38:31).
- Liveübertragung, 12. Mai 2017 (24:52).
- Liveübertragung, 5. Mai 2017 (33:25).
- Liveübertragung, 15. Mai 2017 (14:05).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-06-01 (37:39).
- Interview, 2018-08-08 (25:53).
- Types of Events on Verra.
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (32:29).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (42:31).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-05-04 (48:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (39:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (1:13:30).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (24:48).
- Interview, 2020-03-27 (16:19).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (40:40).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-04-30 (1:01:10).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-10-30 (1:01:00).
- Kickstarter packages.
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Interview, 2018-04-20 (9:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (51:37).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (27:34).
- Video, 2021-12-23 (0:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (19:59).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (40:53).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (50:50).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (55:32).
- Video, 2021-12-23 (23:53).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (54:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (52:52).
- Video, 2021-12-23 (2:54).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (49:39).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (42:09).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (52:58).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-03 (26:50).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (54:54).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (47:51).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-01-28 (7:26).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (1:07:36s).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- A reactive world - Nodes.
- Liveübertragung, 2020-10-30 (39:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-09-27 (53:06).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-01-29 (1:13:04).