Node service buildings
Service buildings within a node are either default buildings that come with the node, or they are constructed buildings, which are initiated by the mayor and built by players. Service buildings are further broken down into two main types:
- Active service buildings are service buildings that players directly interact with. These are further broken down into Artisanship, Business, Content, and Political categories.
- Passive service buildings provide passive benefits to the node or its zone of influence. These buildings are broken down into Civic, Cultural, Fabrication, Scholarly, and Vocational.
- Constructed service buildings are available to every type of node in every location. Where the uniqueness comes in is in some of the default buildings like your node-type building. – Chris Justo
- Building expansions unlock higher tier workstations at the cost of dedicating service building plots.
- Node service building expansions specialize the building through a tech tree based on the stage of the node.
Node layout and style
- The way that the node system is built is that they can exist across a spread of 18 biomes, but at the same time have to represent the cultural influence of these cultures that are intrinsically a part of a specific biome. – Steven Sharif
- Environment (biome) and location of the node.
- Nodes will adjust the local topography to fit the aesthetic and mechanical requirements of the node.
- Currently the way that the platform system is set up, is it's capable of adjusting the topography of the node's footprint, regardless of the surrounding terrain. So the reason for that is we want to have flexibility in the presentation of the node's layout and how it is essentially both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as a mechanical standpoint with node sieges- how it's constructed and that construction should have the ability to take on a variance of different types of topography. So it shouldn't be dependent on the surrounding area. Now that's not to say that the surrounding area isn't going to have some influence over. So for example... we're experimenting a little bit with the platform tech and putting up a node up against the side of a mountain or on the edge of a cliff or something that has a beautiful vista. Those are things that we're going to test out obviously as we continue to work on the node tool and how that platform system works, but the idea is to have the node independent of the surrounding terrain. – Steven Sharif
- Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
- Race that contributed the highest percentage to the node's advancement will alter the racial appearance of its buildings, NPCs, and props.
- All nodes, whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure, has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
- The rest is determined by the node's mayor.
- Q: How long would you say it will take players on average to fill/build up a node completely from wilderness to metropolis?
- A: It's one thing to get a node to a certain level: it's another thing to develop the node; and I can't really give you an on-average expectation, because there's a lot of variables at play. There's how many citizens does the node have attracted to it; what's the type of traffic that the node is attracting to it based on things like its tax rates, or the specialization that it chose to spec into, based on the building types it's chosen to build. All of those things are variables that can affect the quote-unquote "average build-out time" of a particular node. So it's difficult to give you an average when there's so many variables along those lines. But the idea is that if there is a particular project that players are interested in in developing based on the node stage, that they would have the ability to complete several of those projects as within a single term of a mayor; and a term of a mayor is one month. – Steven Sharif
- Das Aussehen der Ausrüstung bestimmter Rüstungssets wird von der Rasse des Spielers beeinflusst. 
- Das Nodelayout und der Stil werden von der Rasse beeinflusst, die am meisten zu dieser Node beiträgt. 
- Vorteile können für Bürger der dominanten Kultur gelten, können aber auch für Mechaniken der Node gelten, was auch für Mitglieder andererRassen von Vorteil sein kann. 
- Es gibt Zermürbungsmechanismen, die Erfahrung und Einfluss beeinflussen, um eine einzelne Rasse davon abzuhalten, die ganze Welt zu dominieren. 
- NPCs reagieren unterschiedlich auf verschiedene Characterrassen. 
Es gibt eine Abnutzung und diese Abnutzung von Erfahrung und Einfluss wird basierend auf der Leistung des Rennens in der Welt erhöht. Wenn also all diese Nodes Ork-Nodes sind, dann ist ihre Abnutzungsrate sehr hoch, um mit der kulturellen Etablierung neuer Nodes zu konkurrieren, weil sie mehr Einfluss in der Welt haben und eine populäre Meinung gegen sie in ihren abgelegenen Regionen ist, in denen sie keinen Einfluss haben – Steven Sharif
Node building destruction
- NPC-driven events that are a response to story arcs or node atrophy.
- Node-Belagerungen and node wars.
- Hazardous events such as tornadoes or hurricanes.
- Bürgermeister have the ability to demolish constructed node buildings. This will have a node mandate cost and will require player buy-in via a vote.
- Mayors will also have the ability, if they want, to demolish constructed buildings. So if they if they so choose they can destroy a building if they don't think it's needed anymore. But this will have mandate cost and a player buy-in votes. So we want to make sure that [the] mayor can't just go and blow up the whole node if they're trying to grief or something. So this is very important and impactful decision. – John Collins
If building maintenance is not paid, or a building is damaged as the result of an event or siege, the building will enter a state of disarray. Any NPCs or services offered by that building will not be available until the building is repaired.
- Players must contribute materials to repair disarrayed buildings and restore them to an operational state.
- Node-Regierungen must clear any rubble on plots before any buildings can be reconstructed. Any prerequisites for the building reconstruction must be satisfied beforehand.
- Buildings also live within a prerequisite system. So in order to build down the tech tree of what these buildings provide, as the node grows larger to access stronger building types, you may get a kink in that chain if it's destroyed and you'll have to stand that back up in order to support the service again. – Steven Sharif
- If the node is destroyed by a node siege, the debris field will contain spoils that are lootable by attackers or defenders.
List of service buildings
- Default service buildings
- Apartment buildings
- Hunting lodges
- Patron guild halls
- Statische Behausungen
- Town hall
- Divine node unique service buildings
- Economic node unique service buildings
- Military node unique service buildings
- Scientific node unique service buildings
- Social organization buildings
- Constructible service buildings
Gebäude auf dem Grundbesitz
- Sheds are present on empty freehold plots to provide storage for materials needed to construct freehold buildings.
- Some freehold buildings have multiple tiers, with different footprint sizes.
- Upgrading a tier will not change the size of the building in terms of footprint, but may increase in height.
- Basements in freehold buildings are to be decided.
- Buildings that require permits will have additional upkeep costs.
- Freehold skins are applied to blueprints matching the type of building: housing, artisanship, and business.
- The freehold building blueprints must be obtained in-game first before the cosmetic can be applied.
- Players are not locked to the racial appearance of a freehold building blueprint.
- The way we look at it is the freehold is your space so we want you to be able to make it look the way you want it to. – Jeffrey Bard
Freehold building placement
- A permitting system allows for a specific number of different types of buildings that can be placed on the freehold plot must be acquired from the node where the freehold deed was obtained.
- Currently freeholds have a combined maximum total of six artisan and business buildings that can be placed in addition to a homestead.
- On a Freehold you can have your house, and up to six additional buildings. The additional buildings can be artisan and/or business buildings. Larger buildings may take up more room, reducing the total number of buildings that can be built on a single Freehold.
- Space that is not used for freehold buildings can be utilized for other purposes, such as livestock and crop placements.
- Players can manipulate the orientation of freehold buildings and items being placed on their freehold plot.
- There may be a grid-based system that freehold owners can use to place items/props and buildings on their freehold plot.
Freehold building skins
- Gebäude, Schiffs, Karawanen und Reittier Kosmetik erfordern zuerst einen Gegenstand im Spiel, um die Kosmetik aufzutragen. 
Ich hatte neulich ein Treffen mit dem Designteam (da sie an weiteren Details für das Freehold-System arbeiten), um bei der Klärung einiger Antworten auf die Fragen zu helfen, die ihr alle gestellt habt, und sie werden mir Informationen schicken. Sobald ich diese erhalten habe, werde ich an einem Inhaltsupdate arbeiten, um diese Informationen widerzuspiegeln, und in Zukunft werden wir diese Details zu jedem einzelnen kosmetischen Gegenstand bereitstellen. Die Aktualisierung aller früheren Gegenstände, um mehr Klarheit darüber zu schaffen, auf welchen Arten von Gegenständen im Spiel Sie die Kosmetika platzieren können, wird einige Zeit in Anspruch nehmen, sobald dieser Prozess beginnt. Bitte lassen Sie uns also wissen, wie wir von gegenwärtigen zu früheren Gegenständen beginnen und deren Informationen aktualisieren. – Margaret Krohn
Freehold building destruction
Grundbesitz may be attacked by any player for a period of two hours following a successful siege against its parent node. Freeholds can also be lost by foreclosure for not paying property taxes or other fees.
- Players and their allies may defend their freehold for this period of time.
- Structures and guards may be obtained to defend freeholds during this period.
- When it comes to losing Freeholds like this, one person’s loss is another person’s gain. While there aren’t enough Freeholds in the world for everyone to have one at the same time, this cycle of players losing Freeholds creates opportunities for other players to acquire one.
After the two hour period of open combat following a successful node siege, any remaining freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another node may take over the zone of influence of the freehold.
- The freehold owner will be required to undertake a quest process to have their freehold adopted by a new node if one exists.
- At the end of the grace period, if the freehold does not reside within the ZOI of a Dorf (Stufe 3) node or above, it will be destroyed.
- If a siege is successful, then the Node is brought down to Level 0, and anyone who was a citizen of that Node is no longer a citizen. Freeholds within the Zone of Influence are subject to a period of vulnerability. These Freeholds can be destroyed by other players during a period of roughly 2 hours after a successful siege. Destroyed Freeholds are subject to material loss, and blueprints for them are mailed to the player to utilize for future placement in order to allow the player to keep their Freehold’s layout and structure. Once the vulnerability period is complete, any remaining Freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another Node may take over the Zone of Influence of the Freehold. – Margaret Krohn
- Q: How many times a year do you suspect that most players will be moving residence based on nodes being eliminated from sieges?
- A: There are a lot of variables that influence that answer. I'm not sure I can give an average, but what I would say is that depending on the political dynamic of a server: if a server tends to have more combat and/or sieges against nodes, that is going to increase the amount of opportunity for freeholds to be removed from the world and then replaced. I'm not sure I have an average. what I will say is that it is very important to remember that Ashes is not a PvP game and it is not a PvE game. It is a PvX game and that has a very specific meaning. It means that as these systems are developed as they are designed and they are integrated with each other: they are done so from a competitive viewpoint and how that system relates to both PvE and PvP. Freeholds are one of those systems very much so and it's because of the cyclical nature that we're attempting to achieve with the development of nodes and the destruction of nodes, the world is a rapidly and dynamically changing place really. So it's intended to be something that is constantly recycling and is leaking out different types of content and new content that revitalizes the player interest and stimulates new points of conflict or cooperation. – Steven Sharif
2023-11-01 2023-07-01 2022-09-05 2020-02-28 2020-01-31 2018-04-01
- Liveübertragung, 2020-01-30 (1:01:59).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Blog: Development Update with Village Node.
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (50:25).
- Video, 2023-08-31 (2:59).
- Interview, 2023-07-09 (1:32:45).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (33:57).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-01-20 (38:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (PM) (51:49).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (56:18).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (52:56).
- Video, 2023-08-31 (34:37).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (1:13:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (57:23).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Liveübertragung, 2020-10-30 (39:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-09-27 (53:06).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-02-25 (41:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-02-26 (1:12:18).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (4:57).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (29:47).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (54:34).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (21:23).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (23:36).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (47:27).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-07-29 (1:13:09).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-06-26 (45:32).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (33:00).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:00:19).
- Podcast, 2018-04-23 (29:56).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-10-31 (36:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (16:56).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (57:46).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (17:59).
- Interview, 2023-07-09 (1:36:24).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-10-14 (52:31).
- Podcast, 2021-09-29 (14:21).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-04-30 (1:14:44).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-06-26 (1:02:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-18 (40:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (47:10).
- Video, 2023-08-31 (33:07).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (12:11).
- Development Update with Freehold Preview.
- Blog: Exploring the Boundless Opportunities of Freeholds.
- Liveübertragung, 2023-04-07 (31:49).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (9:58).
- Video, 2023-06-30 (15:34).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (18:45).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (45:23).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-06-28 (1:09:22).
- Interview, 2023-07-09 (54:46).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (1:45:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-08-28 (2:14:06).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (22:05).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-11-30 (57:50).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (44:11).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (7:36).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-05-29 (41:27).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-10-16 (56:42).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (1:21:48).
- Interview, 2023-07-09 (33:55).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (1:36:52).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-10-31 (46:18).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-11-19 (54:26).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-08-28 (2:04:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (28:04).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (29:34).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-07-28 (1:26:16).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (1:39:22).