- Many of the visible resources (such as Trees and Ore) in the open world are gatherable.
- The exact type of resource present within a resource node is not known until the node is harvested.
- There's a bunch of different things in Ashes that will be gatherable. We have plants and trees and rocks and fish and animals and creatures that can be tamed; and we're thinking to reach the visual fidelity bar and to have things a little bit more rooted in what we know is that it wouldn't really make sense for you to just see gold all over the world in the same way that you would plants and trees; so we wanted to get feedback on what players think about some of the different gatherable types having different things that you would have to know and expect from them. So rocks are a good example of this, where you can see a rock but until you crack that thing open you don't know if it's full of stone, crystals, rubies, gold. So we wanted to try that out with some of our gatherables to have players have to open this thing up- and that's not to say that we players won't stumble on a nice load, or vein, or geode of gold, but most of the stuff that they would they would find to the world, unless they they look hard enough, would require them to crack that stone open. – Kory Rice
- Gathering requires the creation and use of tools.
- Surveying plays a key role in helping gatherers identify resources in particular locations.
- Gathering within a node's Einflussbereich (ZOI) will contribute to its experience growth.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting. So for example if I'm gathering... leaves of the blue petal flower to craft a pigment that's going to be used in the development of a tunic that I can wear at level one, then I may need to collect those in order to craft the pigments to craft a greater pigment that might be present in the in the crafting of a higher level item. So it's going to be a tiered progression so that materials have relevancy throughout the different levels of of crafting; and that's important from an economic stability standpoint. You need to have layered demand from a supply standpoint so that players who are interested in collecting and gathering those materials still are relevant when the later level items are crafted. – Steven Sharif
Berufe des Sammelns
- Choosing a specific path in the skill tree allows the player an opportunity to specialize in a certain area. This encourages player inter-dependency, enhancing the artisan experience.
- When we reference not being masters of all that doesn't mean you're not a master within your own one of the three artisan types, which is crafter or gatherer, processor. You will be a master of one of those, you will not be master of the other two. – Steven Sharif
- The developers have referred to the following proficiency tiers of artisan progression.
- Progression within artisan classes does not directly relate to progression in a character's adventuring class, but there are requirements that take into account dangers, locations, toolsets, and surveying options that are level dependent.
- Q: In regards to character level and artisan level. We know that currently there are two separate things. That being said, what prevents a player from staying level one and partying up with a level 50 player to then gather level 50 resources in the high zones? That way, anyone who wants to take those resources will have to kill the gatherer who is level one and get a large amount of corruption for killing a level one as a level 50.
- A: Gathering higher level resources requires significant advancement within a particular profession for that gatherable resource. So, if I'm a Miner and I want to access the highest possible mineral, I need to be a master miner; and in order to achieve the master minor status I am going to be gaining adventuring level experience through that process, because many of those quest lines, many of those achievements are facilitated through quest lines. Some of those quest lines interface with adventuring difficulties that are out in the wild at certain levels. So that's going to predicate me- that's going to be a predicate for me to achieve a certain level in order to complete some of these quest lines and achieve that master status. So you will you will likely not see the ability of a level one alt character having the access to high level mineral mining, or any other type of gatherable out there. – Steven Sharif
- That character may then master up to two professions within this mastered path (subject to testing).
- A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.
- Players will have the opportunity to dabble in all of the professions at a very beginners level and then that gives them an understanding of what that profession feels like and then allows them to pinpoint the direction that they want to go in to master particular professions. – Steven Sharif
- Based on testing, it may be decided to limit profession mastery certificates to a capped value.
- Becoming a master Crafter or a master Processor or a master Gatherer should be a significant time investment and resource investment; and because of that it should also be something that when you achieve that status it's like people on the server know who you are. – Steven Sharif
- Masteries aren’t just about making an item. They grant many things, including titles, access to items, bargains, and quests. 
- Previously it was stated that with considerable effort a player can master all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was later changed to a player being able to master some but not all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was changed to being able to master up to two or three professions within a mastered parent artisan class (subject to testing). The current stance is being able to master up to two professions.
- Q: What would be the daily activities for someone at level 50 with a maxed out artisan tree?
- A: The daily activity might be something along the lines of, depending on what type of profession or processor you are, of interacting with fellow artisanship individuals to wheel and deal on supply and demand chains; orchestrating and participating and caravan roads that move materials across the world so that you can satisfy buy orders and/or commission requests. Participating in unique trades and/or dungeon experiences that have the opportunity to acquire unique crafting materials so that you can create the dragon's legendary sword and sell that potentially. Finding unique harvestable materials in remote parts of the world or engaging in treasure map finding for again unique materials and/or processing things. There's a whole host of different intents that are loops for the players to participate in that again are situationally relevant based on the world state. – Steven Sharif
- You want to take advantage of the limited time you have during the story arcs to get some of these rare resources for crafting things. – Jeremy Gess
- The location the resource was found can affect the benefits, bonuses, and other characteristics of that resource.
- Players drop resources and other items upon death, based on their applicable death penalties.
- Resources will not expire or degrade over time.
- We don't want to create an environment I feel where you're having to micromanage each of the resources that are very vast in our game. We have 100 plus material system where you're having to play whack-a-mole with managing those things... I don't see the value in it. – Steven Sharif
- Rohmaterialien (gatherable resources) are not to be confused with crafting materials (processed goods).
- Gatherers who are more advanced in their artisan tree will unlock higher level harvesting tools that have a greater chance of collecting higher quality resources or proccing a greater quantity.
You will have an opportunity to proc certain qualities based on your progression in the Artisan tree. So if you are a gatherer; and as you advance in your gathering, you'll have a higher opportunity to collect better resources. – Steven Sharif
Resource extractors are potential constructions that can collect resources over time.
- Available to node citizens who own a freehold near a "resource center".
- Requires several people to construct.
- Moving resources from the extractor will likely require a caravan.
Liste von Ressourcen
- Animal byproducts
- Corrupted resources
- Node commodities
- Pig Hide
- Pig Meat
- Positionen von Ressourcen
- Resource types
Positionen von Ressourcen
- Some resources will be one-time gatherables that will randomly respawn at a different location once collected.
- We really want resources to be persistent and non-renewable. If there’s a mithril vein, that mithril vein will be there until it runs out. The server will manage these amounts on its own, and will repopulate things where and when it desires. You might find another mithril vein in that location sometime later, or somewhere nearby, or maybe never again!
- Other resources will exist as a cluster (also called vein gatherables). These will last until the full resource is depleted.
- Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from. – Steven Sharif
- Once a vein resource is depleted from one location it may respawn in the same location or somewhere else, depending on the type of resource.
- There will be moving resources such as herds of animals that are constantly moving around the world.
- Herds are a source of certain types of wild gatherables but they're in animal form and they're animated; and they exist in a group of the golden fleece sheep that might only spawn very rarely in certain hillsides; and only during spring. And if you can find that vein so to speak of resource you can interact with the herd and you can gather from them. – Steven Sharif
- Corrupted areas may house corrupted resources that are necessary components for certain crafting recipes.
- Certain types of resources will have a corrupt state... We have a Spirit Bloom, which is a harvestable herbalism plant, but when a Zone becomes corrupt you can potentially yield Corrupted Spirit Blooms; and those are necessary components of certain crafting recipes. – Steven Sharif
- Resources respawn on a cooldown basis.
- Resources won't be locked to the node system.
- Verra's map will not be procedurally generated, but starting resource points may be different on each server.
- Surveying is a way that players can check out an area for resources. Players can learn where resources are that are static and that grow back in the same location; but we'll also have resources and Ashes that can spawn anywhere, so surveying will help players locate those those resources. So if they're looking for something specific they can hunt them down. Surveying will also allow players to uncover hidden resources that players wouldn't be able to see with their with their naked eye. Another thing that a surveying would provide is some of the information that we're talking about before, like for instance if you survey- and inside of your survey area there's plants, you might learn what season that plant likes to grow in. You might learn whether it likes to be watered during the winter versus how it likes to be watered in the summer. – Kory Rice
- Surveying can identify the types of resources that spawn statically within an area and also provides information about the seasons and locations they spawn in.
- Surveying can help uncover hidden resources that are not visible to the naked eye.
- Handwerkliche Entwicklung unlocks higher level surveying tools that enable better identification of gatherable resources within a location.
- Unlocking surveying pylons allows the gatherer to adjust the shape and extend the area of their survey.
- You'd work with a surveying tool; and you set the surveying tool down, and that tool would have a specific area in which it's able to uncover and extract information about the resources that are in the area. As a starting out gatherer you might end up with one of the tools, but as you as you progress and become more proficient with using the tool you might be able to set up additional pylons and extend the area of your survey. That allows you to start making shapes and having more strategic areas that you're surveying. If you could connect multiple pylons to create a shape, maybe you could follow the twisting caverns of the cave. Maybe if you're out in the open like we are here you could just try and make yourself a nice widened shape to scan as much of the area as possible. So it'll be up to the player to be tricky with their surveying tool to try and get the most efficiency out of their survey. – Kory Rice
- The spawn rate of resources in a given area is influenced by how players are interacting with those resources.
- Drawing excessive amounts of resources may have a deleterious effect on the land health value for that area.
- Actions like ridding an area of invasive species or performing crop rotations on freehold farms may have a positive effect on that area's land health value.
- Defeating certain world bosses or mobs can positively impact the respawn rates of resources and animals in their vicinity.
- It could be could be positive or negative, or both simultaneously. So the land health value ties into the health of a specific ecosystem; and the ecosystem can scale with different segment sizes of the world, or the world itself: A biome, maybe a node, maybe the player's freehold. And the things that a player does in those areas will contribute to health in a positive or negative way. So doing something like rotating your crops might increase the health of the land because that's considered something good to do; and maybe apprehending or removing poachers that are over hunting a certain species could be helpful to the health of the land. Maybe the mayor puts out a request for players to try and get rid of invasive species that are plants- maybe they're overgrowing weed and it's stopping other valuable plants from growing. – Kory Rice
- The spatial inventory system is intended to mitigate the potential for players to diminish land management scores by stripping resources from particular zones.
- There's a particular reason for why that inventory system is intended to exist within Ashes; and part of that is from the aspect of everything in the world is gatherable and there is a land management system that exists behind those gatherable things. The land management system takes into account how players are interacting with the environment: how many of the resources they're withdrawing from the world; and that decreases the spawn rate within certain localities as those things go too high. So there can be a degree of economic warfare by sending players out into zones where you want to mitigate collection of resources. You send your players out there to take all those resources and then that diminishes the land management score of that particular zone. – Steven Sharif
- Artisan gear may be able to be equipped in an undergarment slot that can be toggled between adventuring gear and artisan gear.
- The developers are planning to have artisan gear sets available for Alpha-2.
- Gathering tools and artisan gear have stats that affect gathering rates and yields.
- Gear for artisans are going to live alongside your adventuring gear. So you will currently- the approaches, and we'll test this but currently- the approach is you'll have artisanship oriented gear. This might be beneficial for your gathering; it might be beneficial for your processing, or crafting, or whatever it is- your profession. Essentially you will craft that gear, you will equip that gear, it'll live almost as a undergarment slot so to speak; and then you can activate that and it will show the appearance if you wish during the activation when you gain the benefit from the from the gear itself; and then could disappear afterwards and go back to your adventuring gear. That's the current approach. We're going to play with that a little bit. There's some discussion and disagreement on the team about how we do that, but our hopes are for Alpha two, we will have I think a couple of sets at least. We're demonstrating all of the artisanship from gathering to processing to crafting in limited fashion in Alpha 2 want to have that gear present to play with this approach.
- Fortschritt in der Sammler Handwerksklasse schaltet die Benutzung von höher leveligen Werkzeugen frei, was dem Sammler erlaubt Ressourcen von einem höheren Level zu sammeln.
- Werkzeuge haben eine Haltbarkeit und eine Lebensdauer.
- Handwerker müssen sich nicht auf andere verlassen um ihre eigenen Werkzeuge zu craften.
Tools do advance within the artisan tree, so your ability to either gather, process or craft will require the equivalent tools necessary at that stage of crafting in order to accomplish the task at hand. So, you could not mine copper and mithril with the same tool. – Steven Sharif
Gathering tool tiers
|Tool rarity||Resource tiers||Vendor price||Vendor location|
|Common||1||10g||Alpha-1 starting area|
|Uncommon||1 - 2||100g||Expedition (Stufe 1) nodes|
|Rare||1 - 3||500g||Feldlager (Stufe 2) nodes|
|Episch||1 - 4||2000g||Dorf (Stufe 3) nodes|
List of gathering tools
|Item||Icon||Type||Resource tiers||Rarity||Level requirement||Source||Cost|
|Beginners Pole||Fishing pole||1||Common||1||Vendor||10|
|Cultivator||Tool||1 - 3||Rare||1||Vendor||500|
|Diamond Tipped Pickaxe||Pickaxe||1 - 4||Epic||1||Vendor||2,000|
|Intermediate Pole||Fishing pole||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor||100|
|Iron Chopper||Tool||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor||100|
|Iron Pickaxe||Pickaxe||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor||100|
|Steel Pickaxe||Pickaxe||1 - 3||Rare||1||Vendor||500|
|Tiller||Tool||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor, Quest rewards||100|
- Crafting honestly will not come online in any sense of its true form until Alpha-2. Alpha-1 has essentially what are intended to be the core gameplay loop of crafting, meaning the collection of materials, the translation of those materials into processed goods, and the use of those processed goods into item acquisition. That's the core gameplay loop that is currently present in Alpha-1. But those are mostly facilitated piggy backing the merchant systems right now and not actually using the real crafting system; and that's because crafting hasn't been completed in a form that can be implemented in Alpha-1, but will be for Alpha-2. What's present in Alpha-1 doesn't even really scratch the surface for crafting. – Steven Sharif
2022-10-29 2022-10-29 2020-03-28
- Video, 2022-10-28 (0:47).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (12:31).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (9:19).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-09-03 (10:48).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-07-30 (1:11:58).
- Interview, 2020-03-27 (9:00).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (38:25).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (10:52).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (25:16).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (1:00:07).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (36:38).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-10 (6:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-07-26 (1:09:46).
- Development Update with Freehold Preview.
- Liveübertragung, 2023-06-30 (50:07).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-04-07 (1:00:55).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-10-28 (1:32:38).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-31 (1:31:11).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (1:13:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (32:07).
- Interview, 2020-03-27 (5:25).
- Interview, 2020-07-20 (18:47).
- Interview, 2023-07-09 (42:51).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-08 (54:26).
- Video, 2023-03-31 (16:42).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-04-28 (1:24:36).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-31 (1:05:58).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-25 (1:04:50).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-03-31 (1:19:26).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-05 (34:15).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-10 (8:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (53:28).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-04-30 (53:11).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (2:13).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-30 (10:24).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 2017-04-13.
- Liveübertragung, 2022-05-27 (1:00:23).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-12-17 (1:14:42).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-03-31 (59:10).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Video, 2023-06-30 (21:05).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (14:33).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-05-31 (42:06).
- Podcast, 2023-07-15 (22:57).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-06-30 (1:17:34).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (1:06:50).
- Video, 2023-06-30 (3:14).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (26:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-04-30 (54:33).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (25:11).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-10-14 (32:38).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (42:28).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (35:30).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-04-30 (41:18).