- Physical attack.
- Magical attack.
- Block percentage.
- Critical hit.
- Die Rasse setzt die Basiswerte eines Spielers.
- Der primäre Archetyp erhöht die Basiswerte.
- Der sekundäre Archetyp (Klasse) erhöht die Werte zusätzlich.
Different races have different stat compositions. Those stats can be important, but we also don't want them to dictate any kind of meta for what classes are best used with different races. – Steven Sharif
Stats on gear
RNG is always going to play a role in Ashes of Creation whether that be in PvP or PvE, but one way to mitigate that is through the action system. The action system is going to be far less sort of dependent on those you know dice rolls and there'll be far more in your own hands. They won't ever completely eliminate that but it's a way for us to sort of reward skilled play versus sort of tactical strategies type play. – Jeffrey Bard
We don't see the need to have these enormous numbers that are really start to lose meaning. That seems to be an innate design issue with other games as they try to balance the damage output in PvP and in PvE; but our design system allows for a more manageable damage protocol for PvE and PvP to be shared; and those damage protocols relate more to lower numbers. – Steven Sharif
- Elements may have more influence in certain seasons and environments. For example, frost abilities may be stronger in winter.
- This affects both PvE and PvP.
We've discussed a little bit about how the seasons and biomes will react with different types of skills. Like if you have a fireball and it's summer it might be a little bit different. If it's winter and you have a frost ability it might be different. – Steven Sharif
The idea behind magic is you're manipulating the elements. They don't just have to be fire, ice, water and air. They can be darkness, they can be light, they can be planar; a lot of different types of "elemental influences". But, say for instance, I am a Waldläufer that has a Charge bolt ability as my primary active skill and I've chosen Magier as my secondary and applied the elemental to it. I now have a Frost charge bolt, and if I fire that frostbolt and hit a target, they may be freezing for a period of time as a debuff and that might slow their speed. If a wizard applies a nuke on a target and that nuke is a frost-based nuke, those two stacking elements might then either further snare (slow the target) or paralyze and freeze the target. So, there are combination out effects that build up: A primary, secondary and some ancillary effect occurs when those are combined. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Arch lightning||Launch a bolt of lightning in a forward line, damaging all within its path.||Adds damage over time to targets hit.||Chains to nearby enemies that are not hit. Anyone who is outside the line has a chance to get a bolt jump to them.|
|Chain Lightning||Activate to charge your attacks with lightning - each hit can then arc between foes, dealing damage to each one.
|Elemental (passive)||Increases to elemental damage. The more the mage changes their element type the more damage is done.||-||-|
|Fire Potion||Generates a fire explosion.||-||-|
|Flame line||Shoot an arrow that leaves behind a trail of flames.||Arrow explodes upon reaching the end of its distance.||Enemies take burning damage for entering the flames.|
|Frost Potion||Swap your explosive potion for a potion of frost. It will burst on the first bounce, leaving an area of bitter cold that slows your enemies.
|Ice prison||Target an enemy and summon a prison of ice around them, paralyzing them.||Adds damage over time.||Snares after root breaks.|
|Ice sheet||Creates an area where enemies are knocked down.||Snares two targets in area.||Increases size and duration.|
|Implosion||Launch a powerful burst of fire (fireball) against a single target.||Becomes a burn (damage over time).||Area of effect around the target.|
|Quake||If your focus is at 80%, cast this spell to split the earth itself before you, launching a line of AoE damage.||Knock down those hit by your arcane might.||Reduces focus cost and cooldown for the skill.|
- Currently the weapon use ability/combo determines special effects that proc. This system might change to adapt to weapon progression.
- Ancillary effects proc based on enchantment types.
- Gear enhancements (power stones) can be applied to add elemental or energy types of damage.
- A skill tree is used to grant effects: making them better or branching off into different directions.
- Passive skills will enable players to work toward mastery of a weapon.
- Weapon proficiency (based on length of use of a weapon) is not a planned feature.
- Q: Are weapons balanced towards a proficiency system (i.e. the longer I use a sword, the better my damage will be), or will it be a normal RPG stat system with no long-term scaling?
- A: We will not be using a proficiency system as described, but players will have passives available in their skill tree that will increase effectiveness of certain weapons. Becoming a master of swords will be something that is possible, just not in that particular manner. – Sarah Flanagan
Ashes of Creation is all about providing many progression paths... The reason why we don't like the term endgame is because with the amount of progression that's available with the amount of diversity and player agency that that impacts the world... We kind of want the the weapon system and add an element of that as well... You can determine special effects that proc from currently the combo system right; you can determine ancillary effects that proc based on enchantment types; you can power stone weapons to add different either elemental types of damage and/or energy that kind of play rock paper scissor with player defenses ... and then you can skill tree out how those effects that are granted ... you can make them better you can branch them off into a different direction. – Steven Sharif
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that kind of thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- There isn't RNG in crafting but there may be a small amount of RNG in enchanting.
- Over-enchanting items may come with a potential risk that the item is destroyed.
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses.
- Vertical enchantments include risks.
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
- This doesn't make the item more powerful, but instead more applicable to different situations, and less so to others.
- This type of enchanting assumes no risk, just time and effort.
Power creep is a balance issue... When it comes to gear progression specifically, the idea is to create an open market that is not heavily dependent on soulbound items; and having many item sinks and gold sinks within that economy that allows for the potential degradation and loss of assets within that closed economy; and not introduce items from the marketplace that companies put in from a pay-to-win perspective or from a pay-to-convenience perspective that undermines the economy that players have built. That is a huge mistake that companies have made in the past and that lends to the imbalancing of what designers maybe have actually balanced well. – Steven Sharif
We like to really refer to ourselves as a PvX game, because in those systems of PvP, PvE, crafting they're all intertwined: They're interdependent on each other... Our system of development really requires some interdependence there between those things. You're going to need a crafter to give you the best items. You're going to need PvPers to secure cities and castles. You're gonna need PvErs to take down those world bosses for those materials to craft. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation ist ein PvX Spiel. Die Spieler werden dabei sowohl auf PvP- als auch auf PvE-Elemente treffen. Es ist unwahrscheinlich, dass sich ein Spieler ausschließlich auf das reine PvP oder das reine PvE konzentrieren könnte.
- In Ashes of Creation gibt es ein Gleichgewicht zwischen PvP und PvE.
- Einige Server sind möglicherweise stärker auf das PvP ausgerichtet als andere.
- Es wird keine unterschiedlichen Ausrüstungstypen für PvP und PvE geben.
- Der Fortschritt im Spiel kann PvE-Elemente voraussetzen.
- Alle Werte betreffen die Kampfleistung eines Spielers im PvX.
We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But you know it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 30 May 2017 (16:25).
- Livestream, 18. Juli 2017 (35:58).
- Livestream, 8. April 2018 (AM) (25:52).
- Livestream, 18. Juli 2017 (37:25).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (59:58).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (48:52).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (1:45).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (20:23).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (26:19).
- PAX West 2017 Mage poster.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (43:53).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (7:49).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (46:52).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:02).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (42:08).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (38:35).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (40:14).
- Livestream, 30 May 2019 (58:28).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (45:37).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (1:11:19).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (21:37).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (58:55).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:53:52).
- Video, 16. April 2018 (1:32).
- PvX Definition
- Livestream, 12. Mai 2017 (24:52).
- Livestream, 5. Mai 2017 (33:25).
- Livestream, 15. Mai 2017 (14:05).
- Livestream, 1. Juni 2017 (37:39).