- All three categories of quests will be available from a variety of local, hidden and discovered sources, such as bulletin boards and NPC quest givers.
We’re going to be breaking up what is traditionally called ‘questing’ into three different categories: Narratives, Events, and Tasks. We want to avoid going down the path of trying to force narrative into gameplay where it doesn’t really fit (ie: filler stuff that doesn’t really relate to what’s happening in the world).
- 1 List of quests
- 2 List of quest givers
- 3 List of quest rewards
- 4 Events
- 5 Aufgaben
- 6 Erzählende Abenteuer
- 7 Tägliche Quests
- 8 Rassenspezifische Quests
- 9 Klassen-spezifische Aufträge
- 10 Solo quests
- 11 Voice acting
- 12 Quest driven caravans
- 13 Mayoral quests
- 14 Escort quests
- 15 Quests and reputation
- 16 Solo-Quests
- 17 Sammelquests
- 18 Quest givers
- 19 Sponsoring von Quests
- 20 Beseitigen von Spieler-Korruption
- 21 Adaptive Inhalte
- 22 Überlieferungen
- 23 Screenshots
- 24 Siehe auch
- 25 Einzelnachweise
List of quests
List of quest givers
- A featureless tome
- Archscholar Denari
- Attendant Wynden
- Captain Quinn
- Corporal Cuhlum
- Headmaster Varus
- Lieutenant Griori
- Olexia Fobrasna
- Private Tarston
- Scholar Lodi
- Scholar Rhea
- Sergeant Landry
List of quest rewards
|Item||Icon||Item type||Rarity||Level requirement||Set|
|Frayed Cloth Gloves||Gloves||Common||7||Frayed|
|Lava Forged One-Handed Sword||Sword||Rare||12||Lava Forged|
|Lava Forged Wand||Wand||Rare||8||Lava Forged|
|Refurbished Plate Gauntlets||Gloves||Common||7||Refurbished|
|Sharpened One-Handed Sword||Sword||Uncommon||5|
|Tome Of The Tundra||Spellbook||Epic||15|
Events are things that happen in Ashes of Creation as the result of development in the world. They can take the form of quests, pop-up triggered events or other narratives that happen throughout the world. Events are scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs.
- Events are where you’ll find your public quests, though these will be scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs. They’ll also have consequences locally, regionally, and globally, for good (if they’re taken care of successfully) or for ill (if a fail condition is reached).
- Some events incorporate random story-driven interruptions to the normal flow of the world, such as blocking off specific roadways, having a random raid boss or mobs appear unexpectedly in a zone. Some may lead to wider consequences, such as climate change, plagues, volcanic eruptions, forest fires, or other natural disasters.
- Events... can be local, regional or global, and consist of boons or banes. They’re triggered based on a lot of different variables, and some may be one-off Events that occur once, and never again. If an Event is handled successfully, then something good happens to the local, regional, or global area. If it fails, then something bad befalls the local, regional or global area. They’ll relate to the overall Narrative, but don’t fall into its overall structure (for the most part). These are the things that will be written into history, and we imagine that as time grows, each server’s history will diverge more and more.
- Events that are taken care of successfully have positive consequences.
- Events that reach a fail condition have negative consequences,, such as:
- Natural disasters.
- Node attacks from NPC mobs, such as dragons, or hordes of zombies.
- Local events that have not been addressed successfully may start to expand regionally or even globally.
- Some of the events that spawn have consequences that lead to node attacks; and enemies have a particular type of hate list on certain buildings that a node may have access to when they attack during an event; and that hate list might relate to- or that building choice might relate to something that is indicative of the storyline for that particular event; or it could be something that is more pivotal to the defense of the city. If the city doesn't respond to these types of things that might weaken them for potential player attacks afterwards. – Steven Sharif
- Monstermünzen-Events are system spawned events that enable players to play as monsters within the event system.
- There are events that lead to the spreading of corruption that players will have to fight back against. When these events occur players will need to participate to keep the intrusion on the material plane back.
- There are certain effects that can happen in a world that does not have a proper response from the player population and that's the whole idea behind these events that can happen; that you know feel like these are natural world progression events if corruption starts to show itself as a response- as a push back to the player's development of nodes in the world itself. – Steven Sharif
- If events don't occur within a certain time period, they could occur randomly.
- There may be one-off events.
- Calendar events.
- Node attacks.
- Pop-up triggered events.
- POI events.
- Narrative events.
- PvP events.
- During a Monster Coin Event, players will be able to activate Monster Coins, allowing them to become monsters and wreak havoc! These Events can be triggered in a variety of different ways, and in some cases they may even provide cosmetic rewards.
- They are structured in a way to prevent groups from gaming the system.
- Monster coin events are triggered by activity in the world, such as node advancement, defeating a boss or constructing certain types of buildings within a node.
- Server messages appear for players in the vicinity of these dynamic events.
- The player will have a number of potential objectives they can choose to attack during the event. This may include node buildings, points-of-interest, dungeon, NPC, or other open-world objective.
- When you're playing as a as a monster from the monster coin use as part of an NPC event that might be targeting a node, or other some other open-world objective or POI, or dungeon, you get to participate as a monster and your focus is completing objectives that have already been prescribed as part of the event. – Steven Sharif
- Drop tables are disabled for player controlled monsters.
- Monster coins only allow a character to participate in events on their own server.
- NPC hate lists do not affect monster coin events.
- Traditionally, the Ancients are not going to be part of the Monster Coin system. These are the primary antagonists of the story. From a lore perspective, and one of the reasons why they're not a part of the Monster Coin system, is because their souls have really developed almost to the point of perfection in manipulating the Essence for more corrupt uses. They haven't quite gotten there, and who knows if they ever will, but that kind of attunes them out of the possibility: The reason why the monster coin system is possible with other creatures. – Steven Sharif
- Tasks refer to node-based objectives that are narrative based.
- Tasks come and go in regional areas; and react to events in the world.
Tasks are hyper-local to individual Nodes, and will be centered around developing the Node that they belong to. If you want to go kill five wolves, this is where you’d do it. You can kill five wolves on your own, and that will count toward Node progression, but if a Task is offered to kill five wolves, then both the Node and your character will get bonus XP when that task is completed. Tasks will be numerous and varied, and will reflect the different gameplay styles that players can engage in within Ashes – there will be crafting, exploration, combat, and gathering oriented tasks (among many others).
- What you find in the Narratives category is where you’ll find most of what you might call traditional quests. Because we’re jettisoning filler, we’ll have the resources to craft a really excellent story, with gameplay that reflects the scope of that story.
The world of Verra will be the same on each server, but Nodes will develop differently. Different servers will have different narratives. Things that happen on one server may not happen on another.
- The overarching narrative of Ashes of Creation is that players are the returning children of Verra but they will not be characterized individually as "saviors".
We want as many people as possible to experience the main server Narrative. These will branch at different scales, but largely at the personal level. Where things change is at the Node level – different parts of the story will be unlocked based on where and when Nodes grow. Unlocking a part of the story in a certain way locks out progression of the story in a different way. You’ll see different antagonists, different NPCs, and different calls to action depending on what’s happening with the server at that time.
It kind of redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you know you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, you know it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
Handlungsstränge drive narratives that play out on a particular server. Within these story arcs are specific points that can pivot to tell different stories based on predicates in the world.
- Within the context of these story arcs, there are specific points that they can pivot to tell a different story. That different story can be based on predicates that are in the world: from a player decision standpoint, from a cultural representation standpoint, from situational to which node gets developed. There's a lot of different components that interact with the way the dialogue and narratives play out on a particular server; and what that means is- and I've said this from the beginning many sandbox MMORPGS, they do not create as much curated content as theme-park MMORPGS; and their excuse for doing that is because they incorporate player-driven mechanics. But that's a bit of a cop-out and it's the opposite approach that we've taken with Ashes of Creation; and the reason for that is, if you give the player a door and there's nothing behind that door then opening the door is meaningless. So what we have to do is we have to create a very functional story arc system that provides content in many different ways, but is behind a door of world progress or world development that is then executed by the player population. And that's how we construct our narrative systems. – Steven Sharif
- Player decisions and personal or class-based quest lines.
- Even player driven mechanics will still have story components. There will be a reason why the player driven mechanic is available or required of the player; so you know every system that's created touches a story. – Steven Sharif
- Every stage a node develops it's unlocking narratives, storylines, it's changing the spawn population of the area around it, changing what bosses exist, it's triggering events where you may have legendary dragons attack the city. It's basically writing the story of the server based on the actions and determination of the players. So, you may experience a dungeon one month earlier and have a completely different story that relates to this location the next month, because something has changed either geopolitically or from the node standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Bürgermeister require certain resources.
- Gebäude are required within a node.
- Social organization tasks need to be completed.
- The ability to retry a failed quest depends on Node-Entwicklung.
- Aufträge involving citizens from multiple nodes are unlocked based on the alliances and other relationships between the nodes and their progression.
- Quests may differ based on the stages of nearby nodes, seasonal influences, and events such as world bosses.
There will be many different quests that actually have stages of the storyline; and these stages can actually be failed. You can actually fail a storyline; which sucks when you think about it, but at the same time that risk makes your investment that much more important. – Steven Sharif
- We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- Scribes may be able to collect and record information about the events of the world as they see it from their point of view.
- There will not be an obligation to login each day.
- Will likely not be RNG based.
- Focused around how changes in the world relate to a player's opportunities.
- Location matters due to the lack of fast travel.
I don't think those will be RNG based. Those will be probably- you will see the reward structure for those types of quests. Will they be dailies? No they won't be in the sense of what we've experienced dailies in the past where you feel so obligated to log in and like you'll miss these things. It's more gonna be focused around like how the world is changing and how the changes in the world relate to your opportunities; and then you know if your location's gonna matter because fast travel is not a thing, where you're located at is going to determine your you know the risk versus reward opportunities that are present; and then depending on the time that those occur. – Steven Sharif
- Es wird keine "grindy" Aufträge geben.
- Es wird keine repetitiven Quest-Linien durch einen einzigen Dungeon geben, um Ausrüstung zu erhalten.
- Das Bestreben ist es, im Spiel mehr Dinge erledigen zu können, als ein Spieler Zeit hat.
There might even be different directories of the quest that exist for specific races, and even though you're sharing a quest to kill a boss, if you're human and I'm an elf, I will have a different arc potentially that leads in a different direction than you, even though we took the same quest; and this can relate to who the primary cultural contributor is to a node unlocking different arcs for cultures that share the primary culture of a node - not that locks out content but it gives a flavor in a different direction so that not everything is so cookie cutter. – Steven Sharif
Race matters because narratives have paths that also are influenced based on the primary contributing culture to the node... If you're a Niküa and you have you're in a Niküa node that's predominantly Niküa, you're going to have certain services and/or abilities as a member of the Niküa race that other races may not have access to... They may have alternative quest lines, but they won't have specific ones. Now those specific Niküa quests will then relate to the meta-narrative that's present in the world and they'll start to direct some of that meta-narrative; and that'll be beneficial for your kind because it will unlock certain content for your race that other races haven't unlocked yet. So there is an incentive there to see progression along that line now in order to curb the progress of a dominant race. – Steven Sharif
There's going to be a lot of shared quests but there's also going to be class-specific quests; and the reason for that is that some classes are better at others than doing certain things and that'll play itself out through the general community quests. That's fine, but there are certain periods from a designer's perspective where you want to make an encounter be the antithesis of what a player is good at. It also gives them perspective because we have a more fluid class combination system where you can play the line in your traditional role by adding a secondary class that's different from your primary classes role. The benefit of having these class-specific quests early on especially in an archetype is that you can come to a determination and have greater experience for the things you're not good at. So you know how to progress your class in the future with the things you have access to that are different from what you're good at.' – Steven Sharif
Diese Aufträge werden durch die Auswahl der primären und sekundären Archetypen im Laufe des Klassenfortschritts beeinflusst.
So you want to give them storyline that's relevant and make sense for them to their class progression. If I'm a fighter I should be going to a barracks and learning from this dude early on. Later on if I want to take on that mage secondary and I'm more arcane in the things I do, or more based in the essence, then yeah it makes sense for my also again for a catered quest to me that lets me focus on that route in the narrative. – Steven Sharif
- For those solo players who don't really care about finding a community to play with but they want to have one when they need it, there's going to be a lot of opportunities from a dialogue perspective, in-game chat options; you can join as part of citizenships: there's a lot of pseudo factions there- social organizations that give you an in to other players without the strong bonds that typically come with guild-oriented organizations; and I think that that's a comfortable medium between the two. – Steven Sharif
- Certain quest lines and hunting grounds are devoted towards solo players.
- Node citizenship and social organizations provide the ability to interact without the strong bonds that typically come with guild-oriented organizations.
- Mechanics exist within larger conflicts for small groups and solo players to impact the battle.
- This includes systems that will likely focus on single group sized participants while the larger battle is occurring.
- Narrated quest lines are not currently planned.
- Adding voice acting into the game at a later point is a fairly cosmetic change.
Quest driven caravans
- These are initiated by players with a diverse choice of routes and launch windows, making them difficult to zerg.
- Initiating a caravan from one node to another will create a PvP objective that players will need to defend while it moves along its chosen route to the selected destination.
- Node-based caravan stats and capabilities scale with their node's advancement.
- Roads will upgrade as nodes advance. Different roads will dictate the speed and type of caravan required (off road vs on road).
The caravan system is designed to be initiated by the player. Which means, information of the caravans launch time and route, should be a closely guarded secret. Routes will also be diverse, and the world is large, so it might behoove you to scout the route ahead before a launch. Fast travel in our game is also limited, which means unless the guild had knowledge of your plans before hand, it is likely that they will be unable to organize and travel to a location. As far as mass guilds securing trade routes, there is always a bigger fish in the pond. Also caravans will have limitations on carrying capacity and launch windows that will segment mulitiple caravans by several minutes, which would space out the caravans, making it difficult to "zerg" a defense. – Steven Sharif
Bürgermeister are able to initiate quest-driven systems that non-citizens can participate in. The mayor can use a portion of their node's treasury or goods as rewards for quest completion. Players will be able to interface with the node to view the quests that are available to them.
There are going to be different speeds that are going to be utilized. So you might be walking through one area and then they might start running and you might have to keep up and that might be time for certain ambushes that are intended along the design path. If you don't address that ambush in a quick manner your escortee has already started running off to the next thing and now he's getting ambushed by the next thing. – Steven Sharif
Quests and reputation
Steht ein Spieler auf der Hassliste eines NPCs, wird jeder Spieler, der diesen Spieler heilt, bufft oder anderweitig unterstützt, ebenfalls der Hassliste des NPCs hinzugefügt.
- Quest givers are identified by a green shimmer on their nameplates.
- Not every quest/quest-giver will originate from within a node.
- There will be subtle ways that players will acquire knowledge that something is to be done in an area.
Sponsoring von Quests
Beseitigen von Spieler-Korruption
- Erfahrungspunkte reduzieren die Verderbnispunkte eines Spielers auch langsam.
- Die Population wird sich verändern.
- Die Schwierigkeit des Contents wird sich ändern.
- Der Content ändert sich vielleicht Grundlegend, abhängig davon, was sich wie entwickelt.
- Verschiedene Arten von Antagonisten mit verschiedenen Storylines.
- Manche Dungeons werden nur freigeschaltet, wenn sich Nodes zu einer bestimmten Stufe entwickeln.
- Die Ziele einer Storyline innerhalb von Dungeons hängen davon ab, welche Story Arcs durch das Node System gewählt wurden.
- Drop Tables in Gebieten und Dungeons werden in die Fortschritt von bestimmten Gebieten eingebunden sein.
Certain dungeons and other points of interest across the map will all be affected by the server’s node development. Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages. The storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will also be dependent on the story arc paths chosen through the node system. The drop tables in area and dungeons will also be tied into the progression of certain areas. For example, let’s say that the humans have developed a node in Region A, and a storyline has opened up that leads players to inspect the ruins (dungeon) of a nearby area. And let’s say that this node was developed in a scientific (crafting) zone… Well before the node developed, this dungeon was accessible… But now the dungeon has propagated new monster assets that include a drop table catering to a crafting emphasis because of the development of that scientific node. And perhaps, a new boss appears in different rooms of the dungeon that includes different adventure quest starts, like a mysterious item with a storyline that can only be progressed if a node develops to the metropolis stage in a certain region, across the world. Our system is so vast, when it comes to interconnectivity and how the world reacts to the players.
Zonen und Entwicklung
Dungeon, Schlachtzüge, Weltbosse, Mobs, Aufträge, Events, Ressourcen, Narratives and other content within a node's ZOI will have a diverse level range; but will scale with the advancement of that node and its racial influence.
- Portions of the spawn tables (for mobs and resources) are static and other portions are dynamic and adapt to node development.
- We don’t have a strictly level 25 zone. Instead, that zone might have some level 10 creatures near the road, some level 20 creatures deep in the forest, and some level 30 creatures up the mountain. These ratios will change based on the Nodes that inform them, becoming generally more dangerous as the Node grows. All this civilization attracts the attention of Things-That-Should-Not-Be. This does not mean that wilderness areas are safe, by any means. Some may be safe-er, but all will have dangers that even the most experienced traveler needs to watch out for. – Steven Sharif
- It is possible for some storylines to relate to a darker/evil path, if a character should choose.
We're keeping lore very close to the chest and the reason for that is because it is very rich. It is diverse. It will have applications outside of just the MMORPG. We intend to take it much further, but I want it to be something that the players get to reveal themselves, that's not just handed to them and then the experience is lost. They should feel when they're experiencing this that it relates to them on a personal level. – Steven Sharif
It is about mythology and discovering what truths mythologies are talking about and finding out what really happened on this world so long ago; and that's part of that discovery process; and we want people to feel that throughout the game, not just in terms of lore but in terms of the world itself. – Jeffrey Bard
- Video, 2020-05-31 (6:25).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Video, 2020-05-31 (5:25).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-15 (20:58).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Liveübertragung, 2021-09-24 (1:22:01).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, October 16 2020
- Types of Events on Verra.
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (23:33).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (23:36).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-03 (46:18).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (44:13).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (32:29).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-06-26 (1:29:06).
- Our immersive world - Environments.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-08 (20:27).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 2017-04-13.
- Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (1:13:30).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-01-30 (1:32:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (39:00).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (42:31).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (50:03).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-11-08 (12:47).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (54:35).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (36:51).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-10 (40:36).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (40:21).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (41:30).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-07-29 (1:20:24).
- Video, 2017-05-25 (0:02).
- IGN: Ashes of Creation first look: An MMO that lets you be the boss.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (22:19).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-03 (36:25).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-03 (35:25).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (1:36:05).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (47:12).
- Podcast, 2020-11-15 (51:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-12 (42:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-12-17 (1:10:30).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (28:02).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-04-29 (1:05:37).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (1:15:29).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-01-18 (39:08).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-05-30 (1:18:16).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (15:37).
- Video, 2018-04-05 (35:01).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-10-31 (29:50).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (2:36:25).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-25 (1:50:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (1:12:51).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-08 (50:32).
- Kickstarter packages.
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Interview, 2018-04-20 (9:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (51:37).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (23:47).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-30 (9:34).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-15 (26:13).
- Interview, 2018-08-24 (4:15).
- Podcast, 2018-04-23 (29:56).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (1:00:19).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-07-26 (1:13:23).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (44:29).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (46:10).
- Video, 2022-09-30 (23:13).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-09-30 (2:40).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-08 (28:48).
- Interview, 2018-10-20 (2:22:09).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (AM) (25:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (AM) (24:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-28 (19:43).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-02-09 (45:48).
- Video, 2019-07-15 (2:12).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (1:04:05).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-12-23 (1:26:36).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (29:45).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (48:48).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (52:39).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-10-31 (30:34).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-07-09 (20:41).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (44:35).
- Interview, 2017-04-27 (0:17).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (36:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (18:29).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (19:35).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-15 (30:53).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Liveübertragung, 2022-08-26 (1:28:50).
- Ashes of Creation Press Kit.
- Interview, 2016-12-7.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (15:37).
- Video, 2018-04-05 (37:50).
- Video, 2018-04-05 (37:13).