We want things to be more fluid and one of the ways that we make them more fluid is through our triggered event system. That is one of the methods by which we make these more spontaneous. We make them more accessible to a wider audience. You can be just in the city and not normally be a part of a raid team, but now get to participate in this organic event that's kind of popped up around the city and if you are not participating then buildings are gonna get destroyed and NPCs are going to die... It's not just how fast can we do it, how will we get it done in its schedule, but oh my god this thing popped up if we don't kill it we're not going to access to our stables this week and we can't get our animal husbandry certificates... It's that risk versus reward that gives you a sense of adrenaline. – Steven Sharif
- 1 Schlachtzugbosse
- 2 Schlachtzugstrategien
- 3 Schlachtzug-Mechaniken
- 4 Fortschritt von Schlachtzügen
- 5 Raid target markers
- 6 PvE difficulty
- 7 Plündern
- 8 Chat bubbles
- 9 Raid voice controls
- 10 Adaptive Inhalte
- 11 Gruppengrößen
- 12 Zergs
- 13 Zugehörigkeiten
- 14 Kunstwerke
- 15 Siehe auch
- 16 Einzelnachweise
- At each stage there is increasing difficulty.
- This may be parsed out into different time periods and be behind a wall of development.
- A single digit percentage of the population will be capable of defeating certain content.
There will be some in-depth raiding that has multiple stages that will be extremely difficult and... It would definitely be in the single digits of population that will be capable of defeating certain content... It doesn't mean that there won't be content available for the larger percentages as well... There should be a tiered level of content that players can constantly strive to accomplish. If there is no ladder of progression and everything is flat and all content can be experienced, then there is no drive to excel. – Steven Sharif
List of raid bosses
Raids will also have dynamic elements that can change from session to session.
- The types and numbers of bosses and mobs present in the raid and their skill repertoire.
- Variables are manifested based on node progression.
One of the design elements that we're implementing into our raids is that the raid will not be exactly the same every single time. You're going to have variables that can't necessarily be pre-planned out for. You can pre-plan out for a lot of the raid like how many DPS do you need and healers and support; where the key position and all that kind of stuff; but I think the compelling aspect of Ashes raiding will be the difficulty in achieving this content and having that content change from session to session as well. We want there to be variables that get manifested by you know what type of node got developed elsewhere. Is he going to have acolytes or cultists? What will the acolytes have skills [available] to them? What kit is the boss gonna have? What available skill repertoire will the boss be able to [wield]? ... A lot of those systems are influenced obviously by world development. So the raid kind of takes into account at what stage has the world developed: Are there two metropolises now available in the world? Okay well let's activate this skill in this skill. Now you have five metropolises, well now all these skills have been activated. Are there are they all economic nodes? Are they all military nodes? That we can change things based on that stuff. And it really is a threat assessment from the environment against the players. – Steven Sharif
- Multiple phase boss fights.
- Random oriented skill usage.
- Telegraphed animations, but no obvious telegraphed templates on the ground.
- Fights will require location, mobility and strategy.
- Combat itself will be pretty intricate mechanics-wise. We're going to have different phases of the bosses, there's going to be a lot of adds stuff, there's going to be random oriented skill usage. We're not going to have telegraphed templates on the ground, but we will have telegraphed animations, so it's going to be location, mobility, strategic. It will be something that can not be repeatable in the exact same way from raid to raid, but has a variance between the combat, so raiders are going to have to be fluid in thinking on their feet. – Steven Sharif
- Animation tells.
Fortschritt von Schlachtzügen
The more developed a zone the more challenging the content; and we feel that's a good progression when it comes to actual adventuring class, because it will match both world development and it will also continue to allow for participation for new players, if they may go into a zone that's recently been reset by either a siege or some other event. – Steven Sharif
Raid target markers
- Higher performance in earlier phases will increase the difficulty of subsequent phases of the encounter.
- The higher the difficulty, the better the loot tables will be.
- Bosse and mobs will not auto-scale based on group size.
- Q: How challenging will raid boss mechanics be given the given that players may need to simultaneously fight other players while also fighting the boss?
- A: It depends. The great thing about our encounter system is that it has a wide scalability from encounters that some might consider easy given their composition to encounters that some might consider impossible until they get their gear level to a certain stage. The level of interaction with other players is really predicated on the encounter itself. We may have some encounters that are in instances although the predominant portion of those will be in the open world, in which case they do have the potential being contested; and these encounters, especially the big ones that might land in contention, are giving some of the best-in-slot gear you can get in the game. So it's important that they are contested because it is a significant victory point; and one of our core pillars is risk versus reward: and the higher that risk the higher that reward should be. So those two things seem fitting and then in addition we do have the concept of winners and losers. Not everybody in Ashes of Creation is going to be a winner; and that sucks if you're not I guess, but there is opportunity for you to continue to excel and become one. But it gives much more meaning to an achievement when not everybody gets the achievement. That's our philosophy. – Steven Sharif
- Number of successful siege defenses.
- Number of successful siege assaults.
- Number of PvP kills.
- Number of PvP deaths.
- Raid participation points.
- Number of firsts.
Visibility of those types of things on the server help to promote a competitive atmosphere. If there is an attainable impression that you can work towards, so that others know your success, you have more drive to succeed. – Steven Sharif
Trophäen-Park is an area within Stadt, Großstadt or Metropole nodes that has available spots for trophies. These trophies show the character names of players who are the first to complete world bosses and dungeon bosses that were spawned as the result of the development of that particular node.
- Server announcements and achievements are designed to encourage groups to experience new content.
- Whoever is first to loot gets the loot.
- A master looter (or lootmaster) is a player designated by the party leader to decide how loot is distributed in a dungeon or raid party.
- Need before greed
- This is a traditional need before greed system based on dice rolls.
- Since there is very little gear binding in Ashes of Creation, it's left to the party to deal with players who excessively roll Need on loot.
- Bidding system
- Intrepid are investigating a potential bidding system, which allows players to bid on items instead of rolling for them.
Beute-Tabellen (drop tables) of world bosses or dungeon bosses have a small RNG chance of dropping gear (completed items). Monster drop hunting certificates, Gegenstände and crafting materials rather than gold.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to
- Crafted gear is the best gear in Ashes of Creation.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
- Stats on dropped items will vary based on the rarity of the item.
- Loot tables are disabled for player controlled monsters.
- Experience debt decreases the drop rate percentages from monsters.
- Loot tables will likely not be affected by weather conditions. This was previously listed as a possible effect.
Jagdscheine is a term that covers items, such as Pelts that house the value of a mob's death. These certificates are specific to an economic region. These are intended as an alternative mechanic to acquire gold.
- A wolf is not going to be carrying a sack of gold. It may instead drop "pelts" that can be traded for gold.
- Hunting certificates will also drop on a character's death.
- Hunting certificates can be traded with hunter NPCs within nodes.
- The level of the node and the distance of the node from the drop will determine the value of the certificate. Certificates redeemed from distant economic regions via the caravan system will provide higher returns (4 to 5 times greater in some cases) than certificates collected from the same region.
- The value of the certificates are also calculated (by the world manager algorithm) based on the volume of certificates being redeemed in each region.
- Hunting certificates may also be used to pay housing taxes and citizen dues.
- Hunting certificates can also be stored within node warehouses.
- Hunting certificates are not intended as crafting materials.
- The first party to obtain a tag (on a mob or boss) will gain an approximately 5-10% edge over competing parties in terms of the total damage done when determining looting rights.
- These numbers will be balanced based on testing.
- At the end of the fight, the party with the highest damage done, including first tagging bonus, will be granted looting rights.
- We have a blended approach of damage done and a tag benefit. So if you tag the boss first, or you tag the loot- whatever the loot target is first- you're gonna get a benefit in the damage overall determination. So if you need to have 51% of damage done in order to qualify your raid, or the plurality of damage done if there's even three or four raids, then tagging first might give you a five or ten percent edge. We'll play with that number- balance it based on testing, but generally that's our approach in competing loot rights – Steven Sharif
- Q: If looting rights are based on a blended tag and damage done system, will there be any mechanics in place to ensure roles like tanks and healers have an equal shot even when they haven't dealt as much damage?
- A: That's the reason for the blended approach. The reason that we're doing a hybrid system between tag and damage done is for the purposes of those classes who may not be as DPS oriented as other classes. The tag system- all classes are going to have a sprinkling of immediate effects- of instantaneous casts and they can use that to tag a target, and that'll give them a modifier on the looting rights: So plus 10 or plus 15 will balance that, but it'll give them plus 10 to 15 on overall damage done if they tag the target and then their damage will make up the remainder of that percentage completion. So if I do 50 damage to a target but someone else has the tag I'm not going to be able to claim that looting right. They'll have done the other 50 plus 10 or 15. – Steven Sharif
- If you want to be able to get those mats from the boss, they're just not going to drop for anybody. They will only drop for a master gatherer who is capable of extracting those resources from the creature itself... The reason why we say there's a lot of interdependencies between the crafters of the world and the raiders of the world and our PvPers of the world is because we don't want to house the capability to attain these things all within the adventuring class. We want there to be an influence necessary from the craftsmen's guild to come in to either come and participate and spoil the boss and gather the goods or something along those lines. – Steven Sharif
We do want to include chat bubbles. We do want to include a host of options that will allow you to manage those bubbles so you can turn them on, you don't see just a field of bubbles. – Jeffrey Bard
Raid voice controls
- Toggle (global) mute on the entire raid.
- Define who has global speech capacity across the entire raid.
- Granting administrative functions to raid and party members.
If you are joined in raid where you have multiple squads that have connected into a raid for the castle sieges, the leaders of those squads will be able to communicate across all members of squad. So let's say you have five teams of four, for a total of twenty people within a particular raid... there are five that have global speech capacity; and then in those individual parties they'll also have their own inter-voice communication. So party leader will be able to hear their party members and the party members will hear each other, but they'll also be able to hear other party leaders speak as well. – Steven Sharif
- Die Population wird sich verändern.
- Die Schwierigkeit des Contents wird sich ändern.
- Der Content ändert sich vielleicht Grundlegend, abhängig davon, was sich wie entwickelt.
- Verschiedene Arten von Antagonisten mit verschiedenen Storylines.
- Manche Dungeons werden nur freigeschaltet, wenn sich Nodes zu einer bestimmten Stufe entwickeln.
- Die Ziele einer Storyline innerhalb von Dungeons hängen davon ab, welche Story Arcs durch das Node System gewählt wurden.
- Drop Tables in Gebieten und Dungeons werden in die Fortschritt von bestimmten Gebieten eingebunden sein.
Certain dungeons and other points of interest across the map will all be affected by the server’s node development. Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages. The storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will also be dependent on the story arc paths chosen through the node system. The drop tables in area and dungeons will also be tied into the progression of certain areas. For example, let’s say that the humans have developed a node in Region A, and a storyline has opened up that leads players to inspect the ruins (dungeon) of a nearby area. And let’s say that this node was developed in a scientific (crafting) zone… Well before the node developed, this dungeon was accessible… But now the dungeon has propagated new monster assets that include a drop table catering to a crafting emphasis because of the development of that scientific node. And perhaps, a new boss appears in different rooms of the dungeon that includes different adventure quest starts, like a mysterious item with a storyline that can only be progressed if a node develops to the metropolis stage in a certain region, across the world. Our system is so vast, when it comes to interconnectivity and how the world reacts to the players.
- Gruppen have up to eight (8) players in a single group.
- Raids will have 40 man groups.
- Content will be tailored for 40, 16 and 8 person group sizes.
- Arenen will have 1 man, 3 man, 5 man and possibly 20 man Free-For-All (Deathmatch) group sizes.
- Burgbelagerungen are expected to have at minimum 250x250 players to be on a single battlefield, with the possibility of increasing this to 500x500 over time.
The idea behind an 8-person group is to allow us to really amplify party roles, and to create a need for each of the archetypes in every party.
- Mechanics exist within larger conflicts for small groups and even solo players to impact the battle.
- This includes systems that will likely focus on single group sized participants while the larger battle is occurring.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale will have party sizes of up to 5.
- Guild mode will have parties of raids of up to 20.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle sieges will have parties of 5 within a raid, with 5 raids for each of the two teams.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse horde mode will have a party size of 5 with a total of ten groups, making for 50 players.
Encounters are designed to have meaning in terms of how boss skills and abilities relate to group compositions, tactics and strategies. Zerging is not experiencing content. There are different ways to make a fight more difficult for larger sized groups without relying solely on stat buffs or making the boss a "damage sponge".
- Raid and dungeon bosses have specific mechanics and abilities that players need to learn and react to. Zergs that are not aware of these mechanics or react to them appropriately will be wiped.
- There may be environmental hazards and AoE effects that cause more damage based on the number of players present.
- There is a give-and-take for guilds that want to see a larger number of members as opposed to a more focused group that may be a part of an alliance.
We're very cognizant of the fact that we don't want to see zerging be a mechanic that's utilized by guilds to accomplish content or just to steamroll over sieges... There are specific mechanics that we are working on that will be seen through the testing phases that relate to a degree of understanding of certain systems that can't just be overrun with numbers. – Steven Sharif
The best way that I found in games I played previously to take down a zerg is to cause drama from within... It's that conflict inside of the politicking that happens in that big organization. If we provide opportunities for division to occur then it also provides stability to keep a server healthy away from that zerg mentality also... If we approach the castle siege and we've destroyed the walls and we're in the throne room and we're about to cast on the penultimate thing and I at this time am just so excited from what's happening that I'm like "screw it I'm gonna go for it". It's gonna be mine. I'm gonna take the taxes for the next month. I'm gonna take all the gear from the castle. I'm gonna take everything... We kind of want that political intrigue to be present in the game. – Steven Sharif
Objective-based game play helps to balance the zerg mentality.
I always feel that if you balance based on groups that in your balance focus is to incorporate features that play well from a player versus player perspective as well as a player versus environment perspective: Having support classes, having DPS and tanks that can obstruct movement and/or create you know bottlenecks on the field and stuff like that. I think a well-rounded raid it will perform better against a non well-rounded raid, however then you incorporate the second aspect of numbers; and that's where again mobility, organization, leadership tactics. Having objectives in gameplay that make those important helps to balance the zerg mentality that a lot of guilds can tend to have. – Steven Sharif
- There may be instanced locations within castle and node sieges where specific groups can participate in certain objective-based waypoints.
Zerging is always a problem in a lot of these MMORPGs where you really can't control the number of participants in certain open-world systems; and in that sense instancing is a great tool that designers can sometimes use to curate a particular number of participants that you want. But the predominant amount of content within Ashes of Creation, over 80% of which is is open-world content, so instancing is very limited. – Steven Sharif
There is guild affiliation, there's party affiliation, there's a raid affiliation, alliance affiliation, there's a citizenship affiliation, there's society affiliation, there's religious affiliation. All of these things have some hierarchy; and within that hierarchy there's the ability to participate within certain systems. So for example, if you have a node that has fallen under your vassal state and you're a citizen of the parent node, then you could participate in a siege against the vassal node but if you're a citizen of the vassal node you could not participate as an attacker against the parent node; so there's a hierarchy, unless you were to renounce your citizenship. – Steven Sharif
- Video, 2020-05-31 (1:40:18).
- Video, 2020-05-31 (1:17:42).
- Podcast, 2018-04-23 (27:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (39:08).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (1:10:43).
- Video, 2021-05-28 (5:40).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-25 (46:08).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:42:14).
- Podcast, 2018-07-09 (22:24).
- Liveübertragung, 8 April 2018 (PM) (1:14:01).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-05-27 (1:14:46).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (49:38).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:39:47).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-05-27 (2:33).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (14:51).
- Interview, 2021-06-13 (22:20).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (17:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-05-27 (1:20:35).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:47:21).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:35:58).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-18 (58:50).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-15 (44:10).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (26:40).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-11-30 (1:01:40).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-07-25 (1:24:56).
- Group dynamics blog.
- Liveübertragung, 2020-11-30 (1:12:03).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (8:43).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (44:14).
- Interview, 2020-07-20 (21:57).
- Liveübertragung, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-06-30 (1:18:55).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (1:00:15).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-12-22 (1:15:01).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-03 (35:25).
- Ashes of Creation Forums - Former Lineage 2 PvP'er wanting to discuss PvP loopholes.
- Video, 2022-05-27 (2:21).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (1:08:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-10-29 (1:06:31).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-03-31 (1:23:06).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-06-30 (1:16:22).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:44:54).
- Interview, 2021-02-07 (55:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-01-29 (1:20:05).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-17 (57:27).
- Interview, 2018-12-06 (2:57).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (36:22).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (18:29).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Liveübertragung, 2020-11-30 (1:20:25).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-09 (34:38).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-26 (48:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-08 (28:48).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (18:53).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-05 (23:26).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (25:18).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-11-30 (1:16:09).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (57:37).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (44:20).
- Interview, 2018-08-08 (11:52).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-01-28 (17:50).
- Interview, 2018-05-11 (58:07).