- Burgbelagerungen, where guilds battle to occupy one of five Gildenschlösser.
- Node-Belagerungen, which are open world battles fought to destroy nodes.
The risk versus reward relationship, when, say for instance, you've dedicated time towards building a node and other players have dedicated that equivalent time towards sieging the node, there's going to be a pitched battle between those players... They spend that time doing this because they care passionately about having access to that content. – Steven Sharif
There are points of balance that we want to incorporate, such as the defense mechanisms that the defenders have, the types of buffs that are acquired through completing killing the bosses, or capturing control points, the stages before a siege when it comes to those node progressions in the preceding weeks: Those are all going to be balanced considering all things being equal between the two sides. But obviously we're not going to control the state of gear acquisition that one side might have as an advantage over the other. There might be a much better geared team over there. There might be a much better coordinated team. There might be a higher number of individuals who are part of the attacking or the defense. Those are components that we aren't necessarily going to put on railroads so-to-speak. But the aspects of design that we can talk about like the hit point health of a particular wall or door, or mercenaries that can be hired; what's their cost, what's their damage output: Those are things yes we're going to balance. But obviously anything that's player dependent or that has player interaction and activity and determination you can't always balance; and you don't want to balance. Those aspects you leave those to the players. – Steven Sharif
- The minimum goal is for 250x250 players to be on a single battlefield. It is hoped that this can be increased to 500x500 over time.
- There will be systems that mimic some of the mechanics of sieges, but there won't be practice sieges.
- There may be instanced locations within otherwise open-world castle and node sieges, where specific groups can participate in small, short duration objective-based battles that will affect the overall outcome of the siege.
- I love castle-based gameplay. I love trophies. I like rewarding risk a lot; and for me it's very difficult to imagine a MMO that I would want to play where there is not competition of strategic prowess that determines the outcome of these types of events and there is not a meaningful reward both mechanically and from just a bragging rights perspective that players can aim for and try to achieve. I think that it brings a lot to the game when it comes to motivations, to excel, to level, to gain power, to engage those different progression loops when there is an ultimate goal or trophy that is not static and doesn't exist forever once you achieve it, but that you must constantly perform in order to maintain; and that's really the purpose of these castles. – Steven Sharif
- Each week leading up to the siege week... is a week that's dedicated to one of the three castle dedicated nodes. So around the castle there are three nodes. They represent week, one, two, and three; and then the fourth week is the siege against the castle. Those can only be elevated up to stage three. We've discussed this in the past and there's definitely information out there on the community ran wiki. – Steven Sharif
- In the first three weeks that a guild occupies a castle they will need to level up each of their castle nodes to Dorf stage through questing.
- The fourth week is declaration week, where other guilds have the opportunity to lay down their declaration flag or to sign up as a defender of the castle.
- Depending on how well the guild defends their castle nodes results in better defenses for the castle.
- Different siege weaponry will grant the attackers the ability to destroy walls, doors and sections of the castle in order to gain access to the inner keep area.
- When castles change hands (following a siege), some taxes stay with the castle and some stay with the guild.
- There will be benefits to attracting people... even if they're not in your guild or alliance – a feudal like system, where you can attract other players who are just independent of this whole politic. They will have things to do there - benefits to receive - and there will be a reciprocal relationship between who you can attract, what they do for you; and how that benefits you and them. – Steven Sharif
Node-Belagerungen ermöglichen es Spielern, eine Node zu zerstören. Dies ebnet den Weg für die Neuentwicklung und den Zugriff auf die gesperrten Inhalte in den umliegenden Nodes. Aufgrund dieser Dynamik spielen politische Konflikte und Intrigen eine wichtige Rolle in der Struktur der Welt.
Der Großteil (~80%) der Inhalte in Ashes of Creation sind open-world, möglicherweise kann es jedoch instanziierte Kämpfe innerhalb von Burg- und Node-Belagerungen geben, bei denen bestimmte Gruppen an kleinen, kurzzeitigen zielbasierten Kämpfen um bestimmte Zwischenziele teilnehmen können.
Objective-based PvP events such as node sieges, castle sieges, guild wars, and node wars will occur within a prime-time window somewhere between 3PM and 9PM server time. This is subject to testing.
- Guild wars and node wars can be declared at any time, but the objectives will only spawn during the prime-time window.
- For node sieges, citizens of the node or provincial nodes being attacked are automatically registered as defenders.
- There are many reasons to participate as an ally in the attack or defence of other nodes.
- Social bonds.
Many incentives exist that can benefit your node and yourself personally by participating in the attack or defense of cities. These range from titles, to items, to materials, to money. Additionally, aiding others may help you strengthen bonds when your assets are threatened. – Steven Sharif
- Alpha-1 castle sieges are located in a separate zone that is accessible via a NPC teleporter.
- Players may choose to respawn at their HQ as long as they are registered.
- Players could potentially intercept stragglers with the guild war or flagging system en route to the siege field.
Lower level characters will have usefulness in mass combat that does not depend on their level, such as manning siege weapons, helping repair fortifications, bringing proximity-based buffs to key positions, using stealth or scaling walls. These types of things are relevant to the tide of battle and do not require the player to be max-level or have high combat stats.
- Siege equipment is able to be crafted or purchased from NPCs. Crafting will require materials, recipes and craftsmanship.
- Part of this endeavor of sieging a player-held location (or non-player-held location) is time to prepare; and that includes gathering and crafting these mega weapons or collecting the resources: Whether it be gold or specific quest items to purchase from NPCs. – Steven Sharif
- There will be ways to repair destructible structures (such as walls and gates) and also repair (or re-craft) siege weapons that were damaged during sieges.
- Anything that you want to bring into existence in the world is going to be built by players: Whether that is Schiffe, Siege engines, Waffen, Rüstung, etc. – Jeffrey Bard
- Only combat NPCs are killable during a siege. Non-combat NPCs, such as merchants, will despawn and will respawn if the siege is unsuccessful.
- Upgrades to the node's Kasernen may allow a garrison of siege NPCs to be spawned in the event of an attack.
- Mercenary NPCs can be hired in advance. They are intended to be a significant presence but not the main line of defense in a siege.
- Varying tiers of mercenary NPCs may be unlocked based on the investment made in their progression. Highest tier NPC mercenaries are referred to as heros.
- Bürgermeister are able to allocate treasury funding to hire mercenary NPCs to defend their node during sieges.
- Nodes can invest in upgrade paths that give a greater selection of roles and quality (gear level) of NPC mercenaries used for caravan defense.
- NPC mercenaries can be hired to participate in castle sieges based on the allocation made by the governing castle and how successful they have been defending their castle nodes.
- These mechanics are subject to change based on testing and priorities.
- Players can assign mercenary NPCs, but won't micromanage them, in a similar manner to pets.
- There are mercenary NPCs that can be assigned to players. We've discussed about that before and those will follow generically... a pet system even adopted majority of the pet system with the added bonus of objective based points of interest that you can assign them to. But we don't want to inundate the field with these mercenaries they'll be few and far between. They'll be assigned specifically like let's say for example as the mayor of a node during a siege you'll be able to assign these two specific players that are citizens within your node and then they'll have those they'll spawn during the during the node siege; or vice versa and the castle siege guild leaders can assign mercenaries that are available based on the progress of those subsidiary nodes around the castle siege whether or not you have those available to your defense or your attack. – Steven Sharif
- Möglicherweise schaffen es Angreifer nicht eine Node während ihrer Belagerung zu zerstören. Stattdessen führen sie vielleicht gezielte Angriffe durch, um spezielle Service-Gebäude in der Node außer Betrieb zu setzen. Diese Gebäude können mit Belagerungswaffen und Bomben angegriffen werden.
- Node-Gebäude (inklusive Player Housing) haben Lebenspunkte und können während Belagerungen beschädigt werden. Wenn Gebäude mehr als ungefähr 25% Schaden nehmen, sind jegliche NPCs oder Services von diesem Gebäude nicht verfügbar, bis dieser Schaden repariert wurde.
- Wenn die Node eine Belagerung überstehen sollte, müssen die Einwohner die nötigen Ressourcen beschaffen um beschädigte Infrastruktur wieder aufzubauen und zu reparieren.
- Spielerbehausungen, die während einer Belagerung zerstört wurden, können nicht mehr verkauft werden.
You could be more precision oriented in the decision to attack a city. Let's say it's a rival node that's trying to reach a node stage five or something and you want to disable their ability for the religious system to progress so you target the temple during the attack, or you want to disable their scholars academy from reaching a higher level so that your nodes can; or you want to disable multiple buildings that allow for experience and quests to be undertaken by its citizenship, which prevents them from keeping up in pace of experience gained with your node. These can be more precision oriented and don't have to effectualize an actual takeover of the node. – Steven Sharif
These are the types of systems that we want to put in place where groups of a single primary archetype can come together to summon these types of effects that play off of what the identity of that archetype is. – Steven Sharif
- We do have the concept of siege summons being a thing with multiple summoners being required in order to create that siege summon. In those situations your character becomes the summon. So you don't have an AI that takes over your previous character but instead the recipient of those additional spell effects becomes the actual summon itself. – Steven Sharif
- The target of the group summon becomes the summon itself.
- Previously it was stated that the party-leader becomes the summon.
- A siege summon will have an incremental size based on the number of summoners participating in that summon activity, with a maximum of eight.
- The number of summoners participating in the summon will determine its overall size.
- All summoners must be in the same party and the party leader must be a summoner.
- If eight Tank archetypes each use one of their summon wall abilities it might construct a larger wall that can divide two raids in a moment; and would require damage and block skills and abilities for a momentary lapse of battle between those two raids. – Steven Sharif
- Number of successful siege defenses.
- Number of successful siege assaults.
- Number of PvP kills.
- Number of PvP deaths.
- Raid participation points.
- Number of firsts.
Visibility of those types of things on the server help to promote a competitive atmosphere. If there is an attainable impression that you can work towards, so that others know your success, you have more drive to succeed. – Steven Sharif
- Dungeon completed.
- Schlachtzüge completed.
- PvP kills.
- Karawanen raided.
- Sammeln activity.
- We have many dreams that we want to do with game-to-web and game-to-mobile in regards to showing stats and being making things shareable for you. We know how social media works; how sharing content with friends works. But those things will come in due time. – Margaret Krohn
One of the issues I did have about that system in Lineage 2, was like certain people just have alt accounts logged in and tuned into that thing; and like they would then utilize that information. Which, I guess is a means of information gathering. But it's maybe too easy of one. So we're - like i said - we're just looking into that. I haven't decided on that yet. – Steven Sharif
2021-05-29 2021-05-29 2021-05-29 2021-05-29 2021-05-29 2021-05-29 2020-10-31 2019-07-17 2019-03-18 2019-01-12 2018-06-05 2017-10-24
- Interview, 2018-08-08 (13:42).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-22 (38:44).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-06-25 (1:10:52).
- Video, 2021-05-28 (25:44).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Liveübertragung, 2022-07-29 (1:12:14).
- Interview, 2020-07-29 (31:05).
- Interview, 2020-07-18 (13:13).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-09-24 (52:48).
- Interview, 2021-07-08 (57:19).
- Interview, 2020-07-19 (44:28).
- Twitch Bustin - Practice Sieges?
- Liveübertragung, 2022-01-28 (17:50).
- Podcast, 2021-04-11 (49:40).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-04-30 (41:18).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- Interview, 2023-09-10 (25:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-08-28 (1:43:03).
- Podcast, 2018-04-23 (21:55).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-08-23 (23:00).
- Podcast, 2018-04-23 (15:14).
- Video, 2016-12-04 (0:02).
- A reactive world - Nodes.
- Video, 2017-04-30 (5:31).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-12-22 (1:13:51).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (22:37).
- Official Livestream - May 4th @ 3 PM PST - Q&A
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (1:12:51).
- Video, 2021-05-28 (25:44).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Video, 2021-05-28 (11:55).
- Interview, 2023-09-10 (22:29).
- Interview, 2018-08-08 (20:49).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-01-18 (37:05).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-05-28 (1:04:29).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (17:08).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (45:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-08-31 (2:09:32).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-28 (36:51).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-05-31 (58:25).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-08-28 (1:41:24).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-06-26 (59:11).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (1:14:23).
- Liveübertragung, 2022-05-27 (1:18:09).
- Liveübertragung, 2021-04-30 (1:01:10).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-10-31 (36:20).
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Early Access.
- Video, 2019-09-24 (0:10).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-06-28 (31:15).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (16:56).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (57:46).
- Liveübertragung, 2019-11-22 (17:59).
- Interview, 2020-07-08 (59:38).
- Liveübertragung, 2020-06-26 (1:02:12).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-18 (40:14).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-11-17 (47:10).
- Podcast, 11. Mai 2018 (49:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-03-31 (1:22:21).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (14:59).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-19 (10:06).
- Liveübertragung, 2018-04-8 (AM) (28:01).
- Podcast, 2018-05-11 (49:20).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-24 (37:07).
- Podcast, 2018-08-04 (1:47:21).
- Liveübertragung, 2023-05-31 (2:21).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-07-18 (58:50).
- Liveübertragung, 2017-05-15 (44:10).
- Interview, 2018-08-17 (26:38).